We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free?

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
duty free?

Hi, Iv been asked to bring back cigarettes for a friend can anyone tell me if im better buying them in the town/supermarket or at the airport on the way home? Im a non smoker so not sure on this?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: duty free?

Well, first of all its illegal to take back cigarettes for anyone other than your own personal use, although I know people do. Also, the guidelines now limit the amount you can take back is 800 cigarettes and if you are stopped at customs and they ask you are they for your own use and they aren't they are likely to fine you and will definitely confiscate the cigarettes.

I'm not a smoker so can't advise about prices but I would say that its not a good idea to risk taking them back for your friend.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: duty free?

It's cheaper to get them at a tabac shop in town. Suoermarkets don't sell them. If you are only taking back a couple of cartons, no-one is going to stop you.

3. Re: duty free?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 25, 2013
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
13,319 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: duty free?

duffy, the old "guidelines" of 3200 has been reduced to 800 over a year ago. Yes you can still carry more for personal use but are more likely to be asked to prove this if over 800. Check the HMRC site for confirmation. If stopped and cigs confiscated passports are then clearly marked as smuggler. Not sure if fines are accurate.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: duty free?

Duffy, as Mantalk has explained I am not "spouting rubbish" and find your tone uncalled for. The fact is, although the EU state that you can bring in as much as you like for your own use, the guidelines recognise that anyone bringing in more than the guidelines could be selling them on. There are programmes on TV showing where the UK Border Agency have stopped people coming in with more than the guidelines to know that they do crack down on people who try to bring in more.

I am sure that they did mention fines on the last programme I saw but accept I may have been mistaken on that.and I am grown up enough to apologise if that was misleading. Here's the link to the HMRC site for those who would like to check the details.

Its up to Karen if she wants to bring in cigarettes for someone else, but as a non-smoker myself I would refuse to bring back cigarettes for a friend/family member who smoked.

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm#2

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
13,090 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: duty free?

Duffy, there's absolutely no need for that sort of attitude. Ceejay was giving Karen (a non-smoker) a perfectly sensible warning. HMRC are getting tougher and tougher on this now, whereas the regular smugglers know all the pat answers to give most people don't and so could easily have the cigs confiscated at UK customs.

As Mantalk has pointed out, this can also lead to your passport being marked, leading to all sorts of hassle in the future. As for fines, there are many (including confiscation of vehicles etc.).

Karen, if your friend wants 200 cigs it's unlikely to be a problem, buy them in a tabac and if asked say they are a gift (HMRC take a dim view of 'gifts' of more than 200). I really would think twice about any more than 200, after all, who's the mule here?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
40,796 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: duty free?

It may not be entirely relevant, but since the revised HMRC guidelines came into force the airport shop in Faro will not sell you more than 800.

It's not just the British either. Friends of mine driving in France having come through Spain were stopped by police who were apparently checking for smugglers.

manchester england
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
8. Re: duty free?

can anybody say what the limit is for tobacco, i didn`t know about the restrictions and will be over in april,

much appreciated.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
9. Re: duty free?

marmax, all the information you need is contained in the link in post # 5 of this thread :)

CB

manchester england
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
10. Re: duty free?

thanks CB

Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena