We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips by train

hampshire
Level Contributor
601 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Trips by train

You may be the expert on this Mantalk !

We are over at Xmas and normally travel around by bus as we are normally by the Alesha Playa This time we are up in Arroyo so thought we could give the train a go

Have you any suggestions for days out ? We want somewhere that we could still have time to look around not 4 hrs by train each way ? we like Malaga and will go there but is there anywhere else you could suggest ?

We are looking forward to the Tapas bars in Arroyo Earlier in the year we stayed the other side of the Marina and it was good as we then used different restaurants to our normal haunts

Thanks for any information anyone may have

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips by train

Have a look at this link

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187440-i353-k58…

It gives details of the trains to Malaga to Ronda, apparently its a lovely trip and one that we intend to do next year.

hampshire
Level Contributor
601 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips by train

Thank you

That looks really interesting Want to have time for a wander and a glass of wine and some tapas so thats look fine

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips by train

We drove to Ronda a few years back and stayed at the Hotel Montelirio (I think that's how it's spelled) for a couple of nights. It overlooks the gorge and is a beautiful hotel? There was a good range of hotels to choose from of various price ranges.

We would like to go again but like the sound of the train journey. Maybe next year. Ohhhh, I'm planning already!

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips by train

The local train only runs between Malaga and Fuengirola.

Certainly Malaga should be a must, but frankly I would get the bus even from Arroyo as it gets you further into the centre of Malaga.

You could get the train down to Battery Park in Torremolinos and after exploring the park walk down the hill to the carihuela area and explore the old fishing village of Torremolinos. If your looking for Spainish food and tapas bars this is the place for you.

The train stops at the main Renfe station and therefore is the jumping of place to visit places like, Cordoba, Seville, Antequera etc. (Antequera again is best visited by bus)

Frankly if in Arroyo I would jump on the bus to Mijas and Benalmadena Publeo. The butterfly farm and the adjacent Buddha temple in Benalmadena are well worth a visit.

For me you will not cover malaga in 2 or 3 days there is so much to see.

hampshire
Level Contributor
601 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips by train

Thanks for that We love La Carehuela and quite often catch the bus to Torremelinos and walk back through the Marina

Have been to the Pueblo but havent been to Mijas for years so might do that Will do the Ronda trip as suggested but some of the places likeGranada I think would be too long a day on the train as i believe you have to change twice

Have a map of Malaga somewhere so will have a look where the train station is How far walk to the centre would you say ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips by train

I'd say a good 20 minutes. Recently we got the bus into Malaga and the train back. There were a lot of roadworks on the way back to the train station which confused us a bit as we haven't done it much. Maybe it would've been quicker if we had known the exact route.

hampshire
Level Contributor
601 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips by train

Oh perhaps that isnt such a good idea then Thought it would be quicker than the bus but if the station is out of the way perhaps not !

Thanks for that

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips by train

Stay on the train past Maria Zambrano (Main Malaga Station) go on to final stop which is only a couple of minutes from the centre.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trips by train

Not a couple of minutes from the Alameda stop unless you are Usain Bolt. To walk to the cathedral which I rate as the centre, a good 10/15 minutes at a brisk walk, over 20 minutes for an oldie like me.

Granada is best done by bus, the bus station is alongside the main Renfe station, you need to get a local bus if you wish to visit the Alhambra (a absolute must visit for me, allow at least 4/5 hours to view).

To walk into the centre from the railway station is very easy, as you exit the station you will see a dry river bed in front of you, to the left a bridge. Turn right on to the path way over the bridge and just keep walking.

You will then arrive at the Muelle Uno new port complex on your right and Calle larios the main shopping street on your left. In addition there is a Tourist Information office on the right as well. This is where the bus terminus is, if you get the bus down.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trips by train

We are looking forward to visiting the Muelle Uno new port complex, during our Spring long stay, hope we can find somewhere there for a nice coffee & tapas :-))

Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena