We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobacco Export Info

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Topic
Tobacco Export Info

Thought i might share this and give anyone a heads up that wasn't aware of what the law is in SPAIN regarding movement of tobacco, hope this helps:

<<Spain has its own regulations

When travelling to Spain, UK citizens need to be aware that the Spanish authorities have domestic legislation, which places documentary obligations upon anyone holding or moving large quantities of duty-paid cigarettes (above 800). One of the practical effects of this is that UK travellers, in the same way as everybody else who is holding or moving large quantities of duty-paid cigarettes in Spain (between 800 and 1200), must produce a receipt from a legitimate retailer and, for even larger quantities of cigarettes (over 1200), a form known as a 'Documento de Acompanamiento'.

What happens if I don’t have the right documents?

Failure to provide the required document could result in the Spanish authorities taking the goods from you. The Spanish authorities do ensure, however, that people are free to purchase, hold and move as much tobacco as they like provided that they carry the appropriate documentation – such as a shop receipt – and this applies equally throughout Spain. Further information can be found at www.ukinspain.com and www.fco.gov.uk.>>

CB

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Hi

Im coming over 2 benelmadena next week for a few days :-).I was hoping you could maybe point me in the right direction for the best place 2 go 2 find the cheapish place 2 get cigarettes,while I'm out there?I'm not after loads and loads(haven't got the money lol)just as many as I can with money I'll have.Hence cheapest place lol.

Thanks a lot

Andy

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Hiya..

Every Tabaco shop is the same, they are set prices so that's the cheapest you'll get.

CB

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Cheers ;-)

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Just for info, the outlet next to Mercadona by the swordfish roundabout and on Carlota Alessandri provides the paperwork you need for transporting the goods within Spain.

Tbh, i would think most do, but am sure some don't !!

CB

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Thought i'd bump this up and also include the following very informative link to HMRC site which is the definitive :)

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm#1

CB

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
892 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Just wondered has anybody brought in more than 800 cigs since this new rule and encountered any problems? I normally bring a lot more and split the boxes between my case and the OH's would this be still ok? He doesn't smoke BTW just me with the bad habit :-((

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,582 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobacco Export Info

I think if they decided to make an issue of the ciggies in your husband's case then they probably could because he isn't the smoker and he would be bringing them in rather than you. Did see a UK Border programme a few weeks ago where two women shared ciggies in between their cases. As it happened they were both smokers but it does show that they do check these things sometimes.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobacco Export Info

Hi there

I really wouldn't worry if anyone else has had any problems, simply because every situation is different. Ceejay is totally correct, you really have to be careful now, more than ever. Not only would you obviously lose your cigs, but you get "marked" so they'd be watching out for you in the future (as well as thousands of others of course).

Not worth the risk IMO, but as long as you can prove they are all for your own use then you'll be fine :)

Use the information contained in the link i provided, that's the definitive at the end of the day.

CB

scotland
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobacco Export Info

I travelled from Malaga to Glasgow this week. I had 3200 cigs and my sister had the same.

I got stopped by the customs official. He asked how many cigs I was carrying. I told him 3200. He asked if all the cigs were for myself. I said yes.

He then asked how many I smoked a day and how long these would last me.

He also asked if I had cigarettes and lighter on my person.

As all the cigs were for myself and not to sell he said it was ok.

I asked him if there was a limit and was told no, but "more likely to be asked questions if I had more than 800".

scotland
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tobacco Export Info

I travelled from Malaga to Glasgow this week. I had 3200 cigs and my sister had the same.

I got stopped by the customs official. He asked how many cigs I was carrying. I told him 3200. He asked if all the cigs were for myself. I said yes.

He then asked how many I smoked a day and how long these would last me.

He also asked if I had cigarettes and lighter on my person.

As all the cigs were for myself and not to sell he said it was ok.

I asked him if there was a limit and was told no, but "more likely to be asked questions if I had more than 800".

Edited: 5:43 pm, January 12, 2012