We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has ever stayed in apartments in St Maurice and used the funicular each day to get the the slopes?

We're on a strict budget so we know it's not going to be the most enjoyable doing that transfer each day but I wondered whether it's feasible or just ridiculous?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

I've done it this year and it's certainly feasible. It's not ideal; depending on where you are staying in Bourg you might have a 5-10 walk to funiculaire and then the few minutes' ride to 1600. But Bourg is a much cheaper place to stay and eat out so I'd recommend it.

Lewes, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

I recently stayed in a newly refurbished chalet that is just outside Bourg Saint Maurice. The hosts transfer you to the bottom of the funicular in under 10 mins and to the bottom of the chairlifts at Villaroger for access into Les Arcs in 5 mins. It saves all the trudging around with your ski gear. I told the owners I would spread the word as we had such a wonderful week. Their website is www.alpinevista.co.uk.

Hockley, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

We have done this many times. We normally get apartments with a 10 - 15 min walk to the funicular. Walking in Ski boots is not fun so a back pack for trainers is a good idea or a ski locker at 1600. There is a free shuttle bus but we have never found or taken it!

The advantage of Bourg is the cost of appartments, shopping in a major supermarket and a good choice of better value bars and restaurants.

Ski days are relatively short so losing some time getting up and down is not a problem. Les Arc is a great mixed ability resort. Good for beginners to experts and they actually look after the pistes! Unusual for much of France. There are plenty of unpisted runs and offpiste also!

Stortford
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?

Perfectly fine, we love staying in Bourg. We stayed in Bourg the first year when our son was 10 and he was learning to ski. Journey up was fun - very regular service and fun to be on a train with the locals - we used to get the same train that some of our instructors were on. Only a 2 minute walk to slopes in 1600 or to the bus stop that takes you to either 1800 or 2000, all very efficiently timed. If you are driving to the alps or doing a hire car transfer then you can drive to the funicular. This is what we do, even come here from other nearby resorts to get up to 1600. There is a huge free car park that I have never seen full even in Feb half term. Just be careful of the position of your apartment - unless it has changed, there are a huge amount of steps to go up and over the mainline track in order to gain access to the funiculair (if you are staying in town) or otherwise it is quite a long way round - check out a town map very thoroughly. Bourg is a lovely town, many nice restaurants with much better set menu style deals than in the mountains. there is also a Lidls and 2 excellent supermarkets where prices are like in the UK (UNLIKE IN 1800 -very expensive for topping up your self catering needs)

Reply to: Skiing in Les Arcs and staying in St Maurice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted