We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

I am planning to stop through northern Croatia for 3 nights in late May, and have narrowed down the places I want to stay to Porec and Rovinj. Does anyone who has spent time in both places have insight on the types of atmospheres between the two? I have heard Porec caters more to a younger crowd. Is this true? I am a young (mid 20's) solo traveler and am looking for a good blend of a relaxed and fun time in Croatia. I enjoy meeting locals and other travelers a lot. Not huge into nightclubs, but do really like a lively pub/bar.

Anyone have a suggestion on which seems to fit my interest more?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

Rovinj might offer somewhat livelier pub/bar atmosphere in late May. I'd go to Rovinj in your place... However, a visit to Porec would take you to a fabulous Byzantine basilica with great mosaics... A bit more of ancient Roman history...

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

I think you would be fine in either place but if it were me I would also go for Rovinj. It depends what you mean by a young crowd i.e. teenagers? young sophisticated hip types? Rovinj has plenty of the latter and they can be seen sipping coffee or cocktails in the numerous chic little bars. The old part of Porec and its famous basilica are wonderful but Porec itself has more of a resort type atmosphere. It all depends what you're looking for.

Edited: 11:28 am, February 21, 2014
Virginia
Level Contributor
264 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

We were staying in Rovinj and did a day trip to Porec. Even if we had a great time in Porec for a day, we were glad that we stayed in Rovinj. It is more charming with a great variety of restaurants and bars. Rovinj is a wonderful place to wander around then take time to sit down to enjoy a coffee or ice cream. It is also a very good base for day trips to other towns if you have a car.

We totally fell in love with Rovinj!

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

dolcevita42 - You're right. Charming was the adjective I should have used. Like you I fell in love with Rovinj 4 decades ago and still feel the same now even though I've seen the changes throughout the decades.

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. It sounds like Rovinj is more what I would be looking for!

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

+1 for Rovinj. The live music on the Fontana Square stage is a kick!

7. Re: Atmospheres in Porec vs Rovinj?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 26, 2015