We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
835 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

I am planning a trip through several cities of Croatia (Dalmatia to Istria), and I would like to end it in Ljubljana. However I have not been able to locate much information on public transportation services between most places in Istria (Pula, Porec, Rovinj) and Ljubljana.

Thus far, the only options I have found is a train service from Opatija, and a bus service from Zagreb. Both are not very convenient from my travel plans.

Anyone knows of any other possibilities?

Durham
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

There's a bus between Pula, Porec and Ljubljana. Takes about 3 hours. http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Google turned up this website: http://www.slovenia.info/?by_bus=0, which says there are bus connections from those Istrian towns to Ljubljana. However, the link they suggest does not work, so make sure you then click on "Autobusne linije" to bring up the Pula-Ljubljana lines, some of which stop in those other towns.

It does not appear that these are seasonal, but you might want to confirm with a tourist office.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

When do you planing to go? It is important question because there is much more options in summer season than during the rest of the year. Also, it is too early for exactly planning if you are travelling next year.

Currently, it seems that is only one bus from Pula to Ljubljana on Monday and Friday, stopping in Poreč: www.fils.hr/portfolio/pula-ljubljana-pula/

Other option could be bus from istria to Koper or Trieste, then bus to Ljubljana.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Go to pulainfo.hr If you click on travel you will see there is a bus that runs all year from Pula to Ljublijana at 5.30 a.m. Also it is wise to contact the bus company to confirm or book www.fils.hr

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

The Toursit Information website should read www.pulainfo.hr

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
835 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Thanks for all your replies. I Hope Fils Ltd. runs the line I need in 2014. Their website says, "no service until further notice.

Otherwise I will have to go to Opatija and catch the train. This will make it a full day travel to go about 200 miles.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

there are two trains and two buses from Rijeka to Ljubljana. Check the schedules for your particular date

train:

slo-zeleznice.si/sl/…

bus:

http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

The pulainfo site does say it runs all year.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Ljubljana-Koper.Than across the border to Istria is another complicated way to go.

balkanviator.com/en/…

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
835 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Ljubljana from somewhere in Istria?

Thanks again for all your replies.

It seems like there are not many options to do Pula (Istria)- Ljubljana, and almost none very convenient.

If the Fils Ltd. bus does not run in 2014, I will have to adjust my travel plans. originally I wanted to start in Dubrovnik and end in Ljubljana, but I may have to end in Venice or Zagreb.

Thanks so much.

Get answers to your questions about Istria