We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Any idea of best way to get from Zadar to Rovinj? We will probably have a car. Many years ago (2002 I think) we caught ferry to Mali Losinj and Cres, but the Cres drive was over scarily-high narrow roads on cliff tops (very picturesque but never again). What's the drive like now? Or is another route better?

Many thanks.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

If you are travelling on a day when the Zadar to Pula catamaran is running I would use that rather than a car.

Istria
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

you can take a ferry from Zadar to Pula with a stop in Mali Losinj but I doubt whether cars are allowed. Otherwise, drive on the new highway from Zadar to Rijeka and then through the Ucka Tunnel into Istria and to Rovinj.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Thanks so much for responses. If I don't take a car I'll investigate the catamaran option. It will limit us seeing Istra but I'm sure the local buses are good to get about.

If I do take a car I'll try the Zadar to Rijeka hightway which I haven't been on (if it's new. Last time I went to Zadar-Istria was 2002, and then I went with a snail-pace car ferry).

One question if I may: Is the catamaran or driving the highway the faster route? And are the roads winding? (but I assume the highway is similar to the one down the coast which is straight and easy to drive).

We're planning on going to Istra, based in Rovinj, then we'll catch a bus to Trieste, train to Venice then Florence, then train and bus back again all the way to Zadar. A lot of travel for our young child so want the most efficient way of getting places (and economical).

Thanks again

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

(If the catamaran is not discontinued) you can hire a car in Pula.Buses are bad to get about.Istria is so much more than Rovinj,Poreč i Labin.

If no congestion and you do not stop at all,both coastal & highway (to Rijeka) can be done in 2 and half hrs.Highway is easier and faster in all scenarios but it is few extra $$$ in fuel consumption and toll.And the views over the guardrails are not scenic at all. (Unless you do diversion to Plitvice lakes,Gacka springs etc.).Coastal road is Nullarbor vegetation but in pleasant way. Winding and vomit inducing for sensitive ones.You may stop more than dozen times to enjoy scenery and take pictures which will mount up on your total travel time.

And yes.For a family,car hire is the way to go.

Other back options. Ryanair used have summer route Pisa-Zadar.Or train,Florence to Ancona.Ferry (cabin or deck) to Zadar.

Edited: 4:08 am, March 01, 2013
Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Catamaran 2013 service information is not available yet, last year Zadar to Pula took 5 hours and stopped at a few islands en route.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Ryan Air has stopped the Zadar-Pisa flight this year which is a real bummer as that would have been perfect. The only budget option is Volotea Split-Venice, but they're a new airline and I've heard some reveiws where they cancel flights and leave people stranded so I don't want to take the chance when I can just catch a bus over to Italy.

Driving up to Istra is sounding more of a go-er. My brother went to Senj last year from Zadar and said it didn't take him long at all (he thought an hour and a half). So I'm supposing about 3 or 31/2hours or so to Rovinj.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

Last year we stayed overnight on Pag then drove to Istria along the coastal road. It was okay, you need to be very alert because of the winding road. Also, if you get stuck behind a very slow vehicle and are scared to overtake like my husband was, it will take ages. The time before that we drove along the highway, it was great, so quick and easy but not as scenic. It's not really a long drive, but over here in W.A. we are used to travelling for a long periods of time to get anywhere.

8. Re: Best way to get from Zadar-Rovinj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014