We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scorpions

paolo2135
5 posts
Save Topic
scorpions

Hi there just curious i know you can get scorpions in croatia although they are not particularly dangerous.I am just wondering how common they are in the coastal resorts of vrsar/rovinj/porec etc as i have been to rovinj a few times before but fortunately never seen any even whilst camping.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,066 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scorpions

Not sure how prevalent they are in Croatia but my brother saw one last year in Dubrovnik. I have never seen one and hope I don't ever see one!

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scorpions

I have lived here for over 6 years and have not seen one - where did you see this written ??

Do not worry nothing in danger here except some areas of Croatia have more mosquitos in certain months than others !

Some friends of ours stayed in Pula once before coming to stay with us in Korcula and they were bitten awful by the "mozzies" but their hotel was in a rural area where the "mozzies" love to go !

Have a good trip and do not worry !

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scorpions

Croatian scorpions are very little, they live in some humid areas, I have never seen one, only on the photos some friends. Never heard or read of any bites.

zagreb
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: scorpions

Scorpions are common everywhere on the sea, especially in damp and dark places. Last time I saw a scorpion was 5-6 years ago, the Scorpions are ugly but really there is no danger if you see them. Do not kill scorpions because they are a protected species in Croatia. The most common scorpion in the Mediterranean area is Euroscorpius italicus and E. Germanus, which are relatively harmless, because in most cases can not penetrate the skin but it certainly frightened the tourists when they see it. The stings are usually random, and usually when you stop on them when they accidentally come into the shoes and clothes. Children are usually sting when they play with njima.Skorpion is definitely a nocturnal animal, which is gladly moved into human settlements, probably in search of food. During the day it hides under rocks or walls of houses and he is not particularly aggressive. If you meet Scorpions make sure that he would try to escape first.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scorpions

Scorpions are very common on the coast and they tend to come in the houses as well. However, they are small and basically harmless. i see them regularly when cleaning around my house in Zadar. Definitely not an ugly animal!!! You should be more afraid of black widow spiders that are quite common in the olive groves of Istria this year ...but that's another theme

paolo2135
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scorpions

it seems there is conflicting information with some people saying they have virtually never seen one in years come into property/house and other people saying they are common.I am just wondering if they are more prevelant in certain areas as i say i am going to vrsar/porec and just wondering if they are as common there as might be going camping right on adriatic coastline

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scorpions

Paolo ,the answers are not "conflicting" , you were informed by 5-6 people about their experience , and it is great that you have collected the information from different parts of Croatia.

What more info do you need, maybe send Chuck Norris to kill all the poor creatures for you?

paolo2135
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scorpions

never mind chuck norris he is a bit past it:-) i was thinking more along the lines of jet li:-)

9. Re: scorpions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 16, 2011