We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

www.bermudarentals.com/rebuild/prop.php…

Any experience at this rental? My fiance and I are looking to rent it next year sometime in the summer, looking to see if anyone has stayed there or knows the area well enough? Recommend the area/place? We like that its right on the water, and the kayak is a huge plus for me. Looking to use it as a base for exploring the island, and it is in a fairly central location too. Thanks!

Joe

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Someone else on this forum asked about this place a little while ago. Don't know whether they booked it. The location is fine, my comment at the time was that the unit is very small. As you can see from the photos the kitchen facilities are at the bottom of the bed. No place to hang clothes which tells you how small it is. Maybe this doesn't bother you. Flatt's is a beautiful spot and the bus stop is close.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Just did a quick check and TravelDaddy01, who asked about the Smith Cottage originally, seems to have stayed at Cambridge Beaches in the end.

We almost always rent when we go on vacation rather tnan stay in hotels, so I hope that you find something suitable.

Are you planning on renting scooters or will you be using the buses and ferries to get around? This may affect where you decide to stay.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Thanks for the response! We are 20-somethings, lots of energy and will only be using the place to sleep. Thats why I try to avoid spending too much on the room when we travel because we are NEVER in it. I did catch the issue about not having any place to hang clothing, but truth be told when we travel we usually leave everything in our suitcases and take them out as we use it. Likewise, we are not the cruise/resort type, we are the destination type of travelers. As of now, we haven't given much thought to scooters vs. buses and taxi's as a means to get around. Ideally I'd like the freedom of the scooter but have to look up rental rates vs. using buses to weigh the best option. We checked out many different rentals on bermudarentals.com, the other website which name escapes me right now, as well as findrentals.com and vrbo.com ... we liked this one but the price of $128 (after taxes, mind you) a night right on the water seems wayyy too good to be true. We had the same issue early this year when we found the place we stayed in Kauai, but this one is even better than that deal!

Joe

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

What I can add - (never seen this cottage ) is that I used to live in Flatts -my apartment overlooked Harrington Sound IT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE IN BERMUDA !!

As long as you have somewhere clean to sleep and shower I would not worry !

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

No question about it, the Harrington Sound area is lovely...and has been experiencing a sort of renaissance over the past few years, with many of the grand old home/manors in this area undergoing extensive (and very expensive) restoration/renovation. In looking at the photos of C22--Smith's Waterside Cottage, it appears most likely that the building was originally a '..boat house..' for a larger manor houses....now become a charming waterfront '..studio..'.

As noted earlier, the '..catch..' to this lovely property will be transportation. If you decide on rental motorscooter(s) then it will just be a lovely ride. If you decide on public transportation, then the nearest bus route will probably be the #3--Hamilton-Middle Road-Saint George's route. During the day, the walk to and back from the nearest stop for the #3 bus route might only be a bit of an inconvenience. But after 6:00-6:15 PM (5:30-5:45 PM Suns & Hols) the #3 bus stops running. With gasoline in the $6-to-$7/gal. range, taxi fares in Bermuda are expensive.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Hi thanks for the reply. What options do we have aside from renting a scooter? How expensive would a taxi be after 6 from Hamilton to this place? And one last question, assuming we made it a point to be back in the area before the bus stops running, are there any good places to eat or things to do within a 15 minute walking distance?

Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

It may seem obvious...but how were you planning to accommodate six(6) in a Harrington Sound, one-room '.studio..' cottage for two(2) ??

>>> What options do we have aside from renting a scooter?<<<

There are NO rental cars in Bermuda....There are public buses and ferries...regular taxis...a private car service (Lexus 460L...nice ride at $225/hr.), rental motorscooters, rental pedal bicycles and '..shank's mare..'. That's it

>>>How expensive would a taxi be after 6 from Hamilton to this place?<<<

'..Gues-timate..' $18-$20

>>>assuming we made it a point to be back in the area before the bus stops running, are there any good places to eat or things to do within a 15 minute walking distance?<<<

This is very much a '..residential..' neighborhood and area of Bermuda. There is a very good basic-Italian restaurant in the Village of Flatt's--

RUSTICO'S-- www.primaverarestaurant.com/Rustico.html

and I seem to recall a place for Indian take-away. There's also pizza delivery.

For entertainment in the evenings, you could walk into the Village of Flatts, to the bridge and watch the tidal race through Flatts Inlet at the turn of the tide...and that's the most excitement that you're likely to find in the area....unless '..Bermie..'--the playful fire-breathing, Harrington Sound sea-dragon--makes an appearance, toasts and eats another camera-totin' tourist.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

I'm **NOT** sure...but I just did some cross-referencing. C22-Smith's Waterside Cottage is definitely located along HARRINGTON SOUND ROAD (no great sleuthing required for that). I ***THINK*** that the cottage MAY be near the intersection with HARRINGTON HUNDREDS ROAD (west..toward Flatt's...approx. 500 yds) .

**IF** this is the actual location, then that places it approx. 1/4 mile/500 yards from the '..Lazy Corner..' intersection of the North Shore and Middle Roads, in the Village of Flatt's.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% positive) that from FLATTS, the #3 bus route runs along Harrington Sound Road for a short distance, before turning off onto Harrington Hundred Road. If this recollection (and guestimate of cottage location) is correct, then the #3 bus route may run right past the front door of the C22 cottage.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Rustico is a GREAT place to eat - they do everything from thin crusyt pizzas to local fish dishes

As well as the no 3 bus route there are the no 10 and 11 buses - I do not have an up to date timetable but I certainly used those routes to travel into Hamilton early evening (I do not drive )

Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for experience at a Bermuda Rental...

Not sure where the 6 people came about, but its only me and my fiance. Would you recommend this area, or should we be looking for something closer to hamilton? We aren't big partiers, but would prefer to be around some semblance of nightlife that doesnt require a $20 cab ride every night to get home. What alternatives do we have? Do any of the buses run past 6PM, or do all the bus lines stop then? I don't mind a walk of a few miles to get to the nightlife but after a large meal and a few drinks I'm not sure I can waddle as far back as I can tolerate walking to.