We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion about Grotto Bay

NJ
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Confusion about Grotto Bay

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in Bermuda in September and are in the process of changing hotels (We read some really bad reviews on here for the hotel we're currently booked at) We've narrowed our choices down to Grotto bay or Coco Reef. What I'm confused about though is that Grotto Bay appears to advertise itself as being on the ocean, with rooms labeled oceanview, ocean front etc but it's not on the ocean? A co-worker of mine that stayed there said it isnt even like staying on a bay it's more like staying at a hotel on a lake, the bay is so small. Does anyone know why they label their rooms as being on the ocean?

USA
Level Contributor
28,487 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion about Grotto Bay

Technically...GROTTO BAY BEACH RESORT faces out onto the well protected waters (flat/calm/no surf) of Castle Harbour/Ferry Reach, which is technicall still an 'arm' of the ocean. In point of fact it is a relatively small 'bay'. The view from the beach will be directly across to the end of the runway and main terminal building of Bermuda's airport..approx 3/4 mi. away. This really should NOT be confused with properties (like Coco Reef Resort) that face out onto the actual ATLANTIC OCEAN (next stop Brazil or Africa).

COCO REEF RESORT is situated centrally along Bermuda's magnificent south shore, at the far eastern end of ELBOW BEACH (for my money the prettiest part). Elbow beach is a long strand (approx 3/4 mi) that has mild to moderate surf...and uninterupted ocean views that go on forever.

Coco Reef Resort will also be more 'central'--approx 15 mins by bus, taxi or rental motorscooter to downtown Hamilton for dining, shopping, nightlife, other public transportation connections...and approx 10-15 minutes to all of the other genuinely magnificent south shore beaches--Astwood Cove, Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe Bay.

Don't think twice about it...book Coco Reef.

2. Re: Confusion about Grotto Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 15, 2010