We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

hi,

Does anyone know if there is any way to avoid passing gc from flores to lake atitlan or antigua by bus?

is it possible to break this long journey into shorter bus rides? e.g. stop over at coban?? any other places along the way i can stop over?

thanks a lot!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

The planes and long-range buses will leave from GC. Tourist shuttles will sometimes skirt the city heading elsewhere, like Coban or Rio Dulce. You could use either to break up the trip. Although I haven't been tempted to make GC the focus of my trips, I have passed through and stayed safely there for decades and recently enjoyed a private day trip (between 2 nights staying near the airport) of the various zones and highlights:

…blogspot.com/2013/04/guatemala-city-and-hom…

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

The only way I'm aware of would be to go from Flores to Coban, and then the back road through Quiche down to Santa Cruz and onward to the inter-American highway. It's faster, if far less scenic, to go through GC.

BC
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

There are shuttles that run from Coban to Antigua, about $30, but not sure what route they do.

We stayed two nights in Guatemala City and then took the bus to Coban, and then booked a shuttle from Coban to Flores, so the opposite route that you are doing.

My husband and son are in Shanghai tonight!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

I agree with DC_Chapin and in fact have done that trip. It's gorgeous. But if time is a factor, go through the capital. It's a great place in its own right.

Byron Bay, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

Is this on the same tourist shuttle from flores that goes down the back roads?

BC
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

Goes down the "back roads"?? Hmmm, you aren't going to get an interstate 8 lane highway in the region.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

DC is spot on about the other route. Once a horrendous dirt road... I did it in the back of a pickup hauling garlic.. it is mostly in good condition. To do this you will need to rely on shuttles. Yes, it can be broken up. How much depends on your time. Take a shuttle from Flores to Coban. Nice straight road. Drug smugglers even use it occasionally to land small planes. A side trip on the way would be to go to Semuc Champey. Google an image. Nice but it is a one post card wonder. Coban also is near a quetzal reserve. There are now shuttles running that route. Info in Coban. This goes through Quiche Department. Remote and quite interesting. There are six different Mayan languages spoken. For many, Spanish is a second language. Another side trip here would be to go to Nebaj. Fascinating weavings. Site of some spectacular battles back during the war but today is very mellow. You go through the town of Santa Cruz de Quiche. Not much for tourists although I did a gig in that area and liked it. Then you are down in tourist country again. Happy trailmix. Beware of touts with links.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

It is possible, as others have posted, but a much longer and much less convenient trip...although not without its upsides.

Why do you want to avoid GC?

9. Re: flores to atitlan or antigua avoiding guatemala city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 25, 2014