We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas to Big Bend

ppoint
1 post
Save Topic
Dallas to Big Bend

We are driving from DFW area to Marfa of Marathon, Tx.

Any ideas on where to stop along the 11 hr. drive

Going on to Chisos Mt Lodge, never been before, would welcome planning tips

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas to Big Bend

If you're going to Big Bend, then stay in Marathon or Alpine. Marfa makes no sense and actually has very few places to stay.

What to do between the two depends on the route you're taking. Yahoo! Maps says that the quickest route is to take I-20 out to Monahans and drop down on TX 18 to Fort Stockton. However, you could also take I-35 south to either TX 29 in Georgetown (a bit of a short-cut I use when I don't want to go through Austin), which cuts through some great little towns, or all the way to US 290 that will bring you to Fredericksburg, which is a wonderful town. Lots else to see on that route, like Pedernales Falls, Enchanted Rock, not to mention Austin, itself.

If you take I-20, there's very little out there of interest. Just to the south of the interstate, close to Weatherford, is Dinosaur Valley State Park. West of that, north of the interstate, is Possum Kingdom Lake, which is a pretty area. Near Monahans are the Monahans Sandhills, which you see on those Texas tourism ads on TV, but are not really that dramatic. You could also take a sidetrip to Balmorrhea, Fort Davis or even up to the McDonald Observatory.

There is another route that you could take, going through San Angelo, but that will take a while.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas to Big Bend

Just to clarify, both Marfa is about three hours from Big Bend National Park and Marathon is a little over an hour, close to two if you are driving all the way in to the Lodge. Chisos Mountain Lodge is in neither of those places, but rather in the park itself.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas to Big Bend

Take your foil hat if you are going to Marfa. They have strange lights there.

LOL

4. Re: Dallas to Big Bend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Marfa
More Marfa Topics