We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Activities in Lubbock

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor Activities in Lubbock

Hey all,

I will be visiting Lubbock in the late Spring and I'm curious if there are any good hiking trails/kayaking/anything that will get me outdoors? I currently live in Los Angeles and have taken up hiking, so I would love to continue this on my visit to Lubbock.

Also, any non-chain restaurant suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
3 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor Activities in Lubbock

I can't help with hiking in Lubbock. A couple of state parks to the north are worth visiting if you have time to drive a couple of hours. Caprock Canyon SP and Palo Duro Canyon SP are both scenic with good hiking trails.

Mentioned in this post
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor Activities in Lubbock

not much serious hiking...it is relatively flat

points of interest

Windmill Museum, McKenzie State Park-prarie dog town, frisbee golf, buy day old bread at the bakery across from the park to feed the ducks- not sure if the Canadian geese will have departed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5u1WR94VTg

Buddy Holly Museum

local food joints across from TECH- Spanky's Hamburgers, One Guy from Italy...great calzone

hiking possibly in Ransom Canyon, around Buffalo Lakes

https:/…visitus.html

recent video/story line by The Daytripper

http://thedaytripper.com/daytrip/lubbock-tx/

as mentioned, the better contrast or hiking would be Palo Duro

Mentioned in this post
Spanky's
Spanky's
232 Reviews
Lubbock, TX
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
LUBBOCK, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor Activities in Lubbock

Yes, I agree with the others that for hiking if you can drive to Palo Duro or around there would be best b/c Lubbock is fairly flat. Also, Buffalo Lake should have a hiking and nature trail. Mackensie Park is probably Lubbock's prettiest park to hang out - lots of old trees and nice lake. I used to run cross-country back in the day and we would start at Mae Simmons Park on Canyon Lake Drive , run north & cross the street at 19th st and run by the Windmill Museum, and also cross the street at Broadway and then run through MacKenzie Park all the way to Prairie Dog Town. All of it was a nice little view for Lubbock. As far as nonchain restaurants, I recently went to The Shack BBQ - it was great and kinda a whole in the wall place. Also, you can check out reviews for Cast Iron Grill for homecooked or the Crafthouse Gastropub if you are looking for a different menu selection.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Mackenzie Park
Mackenzie Park
51 Reviews
Lubbock, TX
Prairie Dog Town
Prairie Dog Town
267 Reviews
Lubbock, TX