We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to houston

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
moving to houston

i will be moving to houston in April with my husband and we would appreciate any suggestions on where to live/shop/visit etc. Our interests include golf, tennis, gym, movies and i love to walk so would like to join a walking group. We are thinking of finding an apartment around Kirby but will we find interesting shops here, not necessarily large malls? looking forward to all ideas and suggestions.

Lea

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: moving to houston

I am not an expert on gyms, but I do know about weekend getaways. My suggestions are Rockport, Bolivar, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, Port Aransas, Galveston, Lafayette, Corpus Christi and Wimberly. I have a lot of friends who love to go gambling in Lake Charles, but I can't think of any other reason to go there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: moving to houston

Lea61, I was in Perth last year and would gladly trade places with you and move there instead! That being said, you'll find a lot of conveniences here that might not be quite so readily available in Perth (24 hour grocery stores and drugstores...). No free CAT buses here, but the Kirby area is pretty centrally located so you'll be able to get to good grocery stores (Central Market, Whole Foods), restaurants (heaps of them all around), walking/running trails (at Rice University), shopping (Rice Village, Highland Village, Galleria), and entertainment very easily. The Rice Village area is a bit like Subiaco; but with better grocery stores than Woolworths.

There are some apartments on Buffalo Speedway and Edloe that would still be in close proximity to Kirby without the crazy traffic of Kirby itself. There is a 24-screen movie theater (Edwards-24) not too far from there. There is a 5km running/walking trail around Rice University that's always full of walkers/runners, especially after work. I'm not sure about walking groups there; however there are several running groups (that have a lot of walkers too) that meet at Memorial Park which is about 5-6 miles away from the Kirby area.

For weekend trips, the Texas Hill Country and its wineries are nice (not quite like Margaret River, though), also Austin and San Antonio. If you're going to be here for a while you might also consider taking advantage of Continental Airlines' weekend specials of super-cheap fares to different destinations each weekend, a good way to see the rest of the States on weekends for cheap and you're not limited to just Texas cities.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: moving to houston

Kirby is a good area, in the West U, but there seems to be a lot of traffic to me.

Of course, it's already March, you probably have a place lined up by now.

I live in the Heights and love it. Very convientantly located to everything. Lots of old houses and duplexes to rent.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: moving to houston

I don't think (I could be wrong though), that the Houston City Club has a gym. The City Club is nice and the food is fantastic. My work has a membership and we have meetings there.

If you work downtown, there's the Downtown Club which has three different locations downtown. It's good if you like to play tennis or squash. I have a membership and like going on the weekends, because it's never crowded then. They also have wine tastings, a spa, and a fancy lunch time buffet.

15. Re: moving to houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 26, 2009