We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

independent Houston newspapers

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
independent Houston newspapers

I just got back from a trip to London (absolutely LOVED it!!!!) and one thing I really enjoyed there was reading all of the smaller, free, independent newspapers that had all sorts of info on current events (standard news), reviews of local things to do, "fun" news bits, local gossip, etc. They were really fun to read. Anyways, just curious if any of you know of some good Houston independent newspapers like that? (and where to get them) Thanks!! =)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: independent Houston newspapers

Ok, there is one local newspaper that I know about - it's HoustonPress (and is free) and there's a stand for it at my apartment complex mailbox area.

Anyone know any other small local newspapers and where to pick them up? I live in League City, so I'm not in the middle of Houston... but when I make trips downtown, I'll be on the lookout.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: independent Houston newspapers

This list is from wikipedia:

African-American Business and News

The Daily Cougar

Free Press Houston

Houston Business Journal

Houston Chronicle

Houston Defender

Houston Forward Times

Houston Gazette

Houston INTOWN

Houston Press

Houston Voice

Houston Review

Korean Journal (now national)

Lone Star Times

Mach Song (national Vietnamese paper)

Pakistan Chronicle

PaperCity

Rice Thresher

Saigon Tex News

Viet Bao

I've seen several around town in various locations. You can probably google any of the names and find a website.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: independent Houston newspapers

Thanks for the list! I've been reading through the HoustonPress, and it's a fun paper, but over half of it is advertisements for massage etc. There was a nice section where they reviewed various music venues (bars and clubs), and I really liked that. There were also a few great reviews of some music groups, so that was fun to read.

Has anyone read any of those other smaller Houston newspapers?

4. Re: independent Houston newspapers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2009