We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

N CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

Hello there...this is a great place to look for information. I've lived in in the Bay Area (North CA) all my life, but am planning to move out of here.

I've read through some of the older threads about relocation to Houston. I am thinking of relocating my entire family (3 kids and a husband) sometime in June 2007. I have planned a trip to Houston early December to check out the area. I have some specific questions maybe some of you can answer.

I know there are Asians in Houston. I don't want to live in "Chinatown", but I'd like to know what areas have a higher concentration of Asians, and what is the prevailing atmoshpere there towards non-caucasians? Or do I even need to care about this?

I also have 3 children (10, 6, 4). From what I've read, I need to look at

Cypress

Pearland

Sugarland

Atascocita

Magnolia

Any others? My home budget is 200-250K. Good schools are important, but what areas also offer family friendly activities? Husband and I will work probably in Houston, willing to commute 1 hr each way if need be...

Childcare - how high are childcare costs in the Houston area?

Weather - I love hot and humid (no I'm not crazy). But should I be concerned with hurricanes and flooding issues for certain areas?

Property taxes - what's up with the property taxes there? In CA, it is normally 1.25% of purchase price, and you are protected from tax spikes, capped at 1% change in property assessment per year (or something like that). I hear TX has a pretty high property tax, what is it and can it swing wildly year to year?

That's it for now.

Thanks in advance!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

Texas7 is correct. Flood insurance for a home not in a flood plian is around $200/year or so. Well worth the piece of mind. Check make sure that there are huge drainage canals throughout the neighborhood you look at and see that the homes are well above street level. It does happen that we have Tropical Storms that sit on us for a week or two and that could cause the best drained neighborhood some flooding. The better masterplanned communities will be well drained. I suppose you just have to know which ones they are.

N CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

jlacom2 - LOL I did not mean you! I just meant - I don't know what I meant! :)

But thanks for the heads up on the flooding issue and propery tax. I'm just going to use 4% for budgeting purposes. Does it go higher?

I got my airline tickets, here I come Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

Good Luck!

Report back after your trip, I'm sure you will have a ton more questions then and we'll be able to help you on more specific areas of town. Just remember not only the cities, but also the subdivisions that you are interested in. That will help us to give you better info down the road.

rapid city
Level Contributor
140 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

If you have lived in Northern California all your life, you should check out Houston in the Summer! It is one of the hottest, most humid cities in the U.S.! Climate is very important in relocating & you will be shocked at how different it is from your present climate. Also remember that Houston is the third largest city in the US, meaning you can be stuck in irritating traffic for hours if you don't live close to your & your husband's employment.

You can Google topics such as "school comparisons" which will bring up the test scores of every school in the country for comparison of many levels. Google any topic of interest and it will give a wealth of information for your questions. Cypress has high academic test scores.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
477 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

I would check out the City of Bellaire (not to be confused with Bellaire and Beltway 8). It's within the 610 loop and the public schools are highly rated. My friends just moved to Cinco Ranch and it's a very nice development. But I find it too far from downtown.

16. Re: Asian family Relocating to Houston from Bay Area N. CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 15, 2009