We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

I'll be staying in Houston and have my choice of neighborhood. I won't be renting a car and so would prefer to be within a mile of a great deal of restaurants and bars so that I can walk (I can take a cab but would prefer not to) Which two neighborhoods would fit that description? Is downtown one of them?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Houston after dark isn't a place I'd choose to go for a walk--it's not that it's particularly unsafe, but just that much of it is deserted. It's a business district, with emphasis on "business". Most of the retail has left downtown, and, while there are a number of bars and restaurants downtown, it's also inhabited by a number of less-than-desirable people.

The Galleria has a number of higher-end hotels, although there are some bargains to be found from time to time. It's eminently walkable, has the highest concentration of restaurants (most bars in this area are inside restaurants), and about as safe a neighborhood as you'll find.

Another neighborhood that would be good for walking would be The (Rice) Village area, but I can't think of hotels extremely close. The Village essentially runs from Shepherd west to Kirby, and US 59 south to University Blvd. There are hotels in the Texas Medical Center (expensive during the week, cheap on weekends), along Holcombe Blvd, but a long walk, and on US 59 (again, a fairly long walk). There are plenty of restaurants of all sorts and bars in The Village. Again, a very safe neighborhood for walking.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Sorry, but I just noticed that I had typed in the opening sentence of the previous post "Houston after dark", when I meant to type "Downtown after dark". Everything else applies. Sorry for confusion.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Really only Galleria area fits your criteria. No D/T for sure.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

The City Centre/Town & Country may also be an option. citycentrehouston.com/?noredirection=true

The area is very walkable and safe. I would say it has an European vibe.

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Thanks for your advice. I'll be staying the Galleria area.

If I want to have a late evening drink or even dinner, are their bars/restaurants in or around the Galleria area that are open after midnight? Any you'd care to recommend? I will be on foot so probably only the Galleria itself.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Most restaurants close around 11:00p on weekdays and midnight Fri and Sat. Some will have the bar open until 2:00a. In Texas no sale of alcohol after 2:00a - so that is state wide.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Kingwood's right on all the above points, and since most of the bars in The Galleria area are located within restaurant areas, you may have a hard time finding one that's open past the above hours. Possible exceptions are Bar Annie (at RDG+Bar Annie), the bar at the Daily Grill inside The Galleria, the bar at Truluck's, and possibly a bar at one or more of the other hotels. Otherwise, you'll have to take a cab down to the bar area of either lower Westheimer or Washington Avenue, where they stay open until 2:00 AM.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Downtown Houston is AWFUL. I was there last weekend and could not believe how desolate it is for a major city. I live in NYC and walk everywhere, so like you I decided not to rent a car. I took a bus from the airport to my hotel on Dallas Street. The bus goes through a supposedly bad area, but I thought it was fine during the day at least. When I arrived in city center I was super pissed to see it looked like a bomb went off. No stores, few restauarants, nothing. If you're going to see the Astros, take a cab there, and take one back as soon as the game is over.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Shannon--

If you read through most of the threads, we try to advise travelers that downtown is primarily a business district (except for a few limited areas, such as the Theater District, Market Square, Midtown, Discovery Green, and a couple of others). We generally try to steer people toward our other Central Business District, which includes retail, businesses, residential, hotels/restaurants, etc., The Galleria (the 2nd-largest CBD in the state), which has much more going on at night. Had you read through the threads, you would have seen those recommendations.

Next time you visit a major city, ask the local experts ahead of time, and you'll usually get pretty good advice. Our downtown, admittedly, can be somewhat dead at night, but a little research would have shown you that. Better luck on your next trip.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,401 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which two areas in Houston are the most walkable?

Well, I was in Midtown over the weekend - and it was hopping, as usual. It's a quick lightrail trip - and very easy, especially from Dallas Street. I know the DE's like to recommend it, and believe me, it does make a great place for tourists and locals (many things around), but I personally avoid the Galleria area like the plague due to traffic congestion.