We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Hey Guys,

my partner and I will be flying into Houston late on November 18th and we will be staying for 3 nights, flying out at lunch time on November 21st. So we basically have 2 and a bit days available. 1 day will be tied up hopefully seeing an automotive fabrication shop.

We're wondering where we should base ourselves, somewhere around the 200/night would be perfect, preferably with free parking as we will have a hire car, our main interest would be the space centre and somewhere with great nightlift (even though it's mid week?). and any MUST DO restuarants? we love seafood, and I've heard Houston does seafood pretty well!! We wouldn't mind trying to find an awesome BBQ place as well!

Any help and tips will be appreciated :)

Kerri

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Kerri--

First, NASA Space Center is about 30 miles southeast of the city itself, so I wouldn't worry much about staying near there. It's a roughly 35-40 minute trip, as it's mostly freeway driving. For $200/night including parking, you can pretty well stay in almost any area of the city, although certain hotels will be too high to fit in your budget. Even the Galleria area has hotels that should work at that level.

Our favorite seafood restaurants are (in no particular order, and with relative prices following): Reef (midtown) $$$; Truluck's (Galleria) $$$$; Masraff's (Galleria) $$$$; Goode Co. Seafood (Upper Kirby) $$-$$$; and a host of others. Hopefully, others will add their favorites, but check TA's list. (For reference, my personal definition of costs is $ = less than $20 for dinner; $$ = $20-$40; $$$ = $40-$60; and $$$$ = over $60 per person for dinner, exclusive of alcohol, but including appetizer, entree, dessert and gratuity. It's not an exact figure, as each person has a different definition.)

Tell us more about your ages and what type nightlife you're looking for so we can help you find the right area in which to party. There is one area for the 20's-early 30's group, another for the mid 30's-early 50's, another for gays, etc. We'll point you in the right direction if we have the right info. (You can send me a PM if you prefer.)

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Do you have a particular automotive fabrication shop? If so what part of town? Since you plan to spend a full day it sounds like that is the main reason for the visit.

There are hundreds of restaurants with a 2 mile radius of the Galleria Mall - most are good and all different price ranges. Even if you stay a month you will not be able to hit all the must do restaurants. This is what I would suggest - order a fish that is from the Gulf. No point in spending a lot of money to order a fish that is flown in from another part of the world when you can do the same thing down under.

As far as BBQ - Luling is good. I would also suggest going to the Chinatown and having a meal there - seafood, dumplings, dim sum or any other.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

GeneT, thank you for all the suggestions re: restaurants, I've been checking through the top restaurants on here and getting hungry thinking about the places we can go!

Looking at a map of the city, am I right in thinking that the NASA centre will be near the coast/water? We're not fussed on driving as we will have a hire car :)

we're a 24 and 34 year old straight couple, as far as nightlife goes, we're pretty easy going, would be cool to experience some typical Texan nightlife, whatever that may be!

@ Kingwood1811 - we're hoping to get a visit in to Ekstensive Metalworks, going by a map, they seem to be just north of the city centre, kind of up the freeway? this isn't locked in at all, but we're looking to square it all away with those guys in the coming months, leading up to the trip!

The galleria area seems like it could be a great place to base ourselves for our stay, so I might start looking around that area :)

thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Kerri--

The Galleria is a great place to stay, as many of the city's best restaurants are nearby. The area you'd probably most enjoy for restaurants and clubs would be along Washington Avenue, between roughly Shepherd Dr. eastward toward Waugh Drive. There are restaurants and bars in almost block filled by people your ages. Many of these restaurants are excellent and more moderately priced, but they tend to be fairly noisy. You might look at benji's, Coppa, and others along Washington Avenue. (I've got to admit I don't eat there often because of the noise level, but I'm considerably older.)

In the Galleria area, definitely try Masraff's, Truluck's (a chain out of Florida for outstanding shellfish), or if you want a truly outstanding steak, our favorite is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (others will recommend Pappas Steakhouse, but they are notorious about not honoring reservations, so we don't go there). There are so many other good restaurants in that area that it's hard to name them all.

As to BBQ, the two hottest names in the city right now are Killen's BBQ in Pearland (southeast of the city), and Gatlin's, about a 15-minute drive from The Galleria. In both cases, you need to be there no later than about 11:00 AM, as a line forms, and both locations sell out of BBQ daily. Neither location is open on Sunday.

Ekstensive Metalworks is not in the best part of the city, so be very cautious when visiting there. We would refer to that as north of downtown, as there is an area of town known as "City Centre" on the west side of town (and it even uses your spelling for "center").

Let us know how else we can assist you, Mates. Welcome to Texas!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Kerri--

Sorry, but I forgot to answer your query about NASA's proximity to water. It's probably about 10-15 miles to Clear Lake, and about 20-25 miles to Galveston and the Gulf of Mexico, so it's not far at all. At Kemah (on Clear Lake), there are a number of mediocre restaurants with frontage on the water, so you can see mostly sailboats leaving the harbor to go sailing whilst you dine on mostly fried seafood.

Galveston has better seafood, but you won't see the sailboats--just the Gulf, or if you're on the harbor side of the island, you might see a cruise ship if it's in port.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,540 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

<Gatlin's, about a 15-minute drive from The Galleria. In both cases, you need to be there no later than about 11:00 AM, as a line forms, and both locations sell out of BBQ daily. >

Gene T: I know you've said this before in other posts, but all three times I've visited Gatlin's BBQ in the past 3 months, which is on my way home from work, they've never been "sold out" of BBQ. Once they had deer sausage, which was a special, and it sold out. Once the spicy links were sold out. All 3 times they had brisket and pulled pork. My data points are different week nights between 4-6pm. So far I've had different variations of the 3-meat plate, pulled pork sandwich, and their loaded baked potato is incredible, too.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

9 out of 10 will tell you that Galleria is a good option to stay. Since you have a car you really can stay pretty much anywhere. After you visit NASA, go over to Kemah Boardwalk. It is a nice cool place by the water with several restaurants / bars. Unfortunately most of the restaurants are owned by the same chain. There is a restaurant slightly away from the water called T-Bones. Never been there but lots of good reviews for the BBQ and meat. Limited seafood (fried but supposed to be good). We have been to a restaurant several times on the other side - it is more like marina - food is really good - but cannot think of the name.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

Thank you to bk_t1 for the clarification on Gatlin's NOT selling out of BBQ. The other reports I've been getting are probably reporting what's happening on Saturday, when supposedly everything is gone by about 1:30-2:00 PM. However, I wouldn't expect pulled pork, the "National Dish of No. Carolina" to be a big seller in Texas! ;-) I'll adjust my future caveats for Gatlin's.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

In addition to the Galleria area, there are several hotels on US 59 just to the east of the Galleria. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza a few times while in the midst of moving to Houston.

Just keep in mind that the entire area of I-610, I-10, US-59, Westpark Tollway, and Westheimer Blvd., can have brutal, gridlocked traffic.

10. Re: 2.5 days in Houston mid November, help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 12, 2015