We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Hello everyone,

I'll be staying in Houston to attend a workshop in December and trying to find a hotel close to zip 77025. From what I found in this forum it sounds better to book one around the Galleria than Medical Center or the Dome. It's 11 days stay and I'm not confident enough to rent and drive a car because I've never tried to with my international driver's license. I've found some possibly within the walking distance from zip77025, such as Candlewood Suites Houston Galleria, but I have no idea it's possible to walk in this time of the year. There seems to be no public transportation useful in this area.

Where would you recommend to stay? Any good idea to commute around there for someone without a car?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

I did a search on where is zip code 77025 and from what I have called up - it doesn't appear that the Galleria is within walking distance of where you are going to be. Exactly what street is your workship on? You may have to take a taxi cab.

If you won't have a car, you certainly want to stay in an area where you plenty of places to eat right around you. You don't see if you are male or female (and we don't need to know) but if you are female, I wouldn't recommend walking the streets alone at night. Crossing over to go to a restaurant across the street or next door is fine.

I would not stay in the Astrodome/Reliant Park area and even the med center doesn't have much around at night. West University "may" be close to where you are going but I'm still not sure from looking at the map. West University (or West U) is a ver nice area.

Unfortunately Houston is not a walking city -- you simply have to have a car. Public buses are common but you may have to change several times at various transit points to get from point A to point B and that sometimes is not desirable because it can take too much time and be confusing.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Thank you, Texas7!!! It's really helpful, and what you're saying make sense.

My destination is located in 4120 Bellaire blvd, and I'm a female staying alone in the first week and my husband will be joining later.

I searched a hotel closeby but I've found none so close, so I was getting worried how to get around in Houston.

Your post is very informative. Seems like I'll start over how and where I'll manage 11 days attending workshop to I stay safe.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

The weather in December is mild, so you don't need to worry about being too cold. Walking weather should be good.

There is one hotel in the Museum District/Medical Center area and that is the Hotel Zaza at 5701 Main Street (used to be The Warwick Hotel), but it is new as of this year so you might try and find some reviews. The locations is good, and the metrorail would be near. Look at ridemetro.org for route information.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Got your response after my post. With the new information, I would say stay in the Galleria area. There are lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping in the area. Public transportation would be limited to bus and cab service, I think.

Some hotels in the area..Hotel Derek, La Quinta Inns & Suites, InterContinental, Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott at the Galleria, Sheraton Suites, and the Westins

Tokyo
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Thanks, knr!!! Following your advice I'll stick to the Galleria area for a search. I'm going to check the hotels you mentioned, then they should tell me about how to get to my destination. I appreciate your quick responce too!!.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Another option would be to stay at the Marriott in the Medical Center. It would be a short cab ride to your conference down Holcomb/Bellaire (you may even have free shuttle service from the hotel). You would then be on the light rail line in case you wanted to go into Midtown or Downtown for dinner. I would also second the location of the Hotel ZaZa. If you choose to stay in the Galleria area then try the Westin. It may not be quite as nice as the Derek, but you would be staying in the Galleria. There are several restaurants in the Galleria and several more will have opened by December. There is an article in the Chronicle today (chron.com) about the new restuarants coming to the Galleria.

Del Rio, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

Let me confuse you by adding my opinions, everybody has one.

Your conference is in a nice residential area of Houston. It can be easily reached by a bus from the medical center as Bellaire turns into Holcombe Blvd a couple of blocks from you. From a public travel stand point the med center is better. You can get on a bus go two miles and you are there. Also you can probably get a shuttle driver to take you from the hotel. I’ll discuss the hotels in a minute. The drivers license issue should not be a problem. Houston is a very international city and the agencies will rent to international travelers with no problem. No promises about our traffic though.

The Galleria is indeed a better area to stay in for an extended period of time. What no one has mentioned is the area is a nightmare traffic wise at Christmas. Remember the Galleria is the 5th largest mall in the United States and can be very crowded. The benefit is that you have many hotels including two Westins and a Doubletree that are literally attached to the mall. This means you can wander at night to see shops, ice skating rink, restaurants etc…

I think you might prefer the med center if you have no car. You can take the light rail to downtown(10 minutes). You have the parks within walking distance. The important thing is to make sure you stay in a good hotel. Do not stay in a cheap hotel there. My suggestion would be the Marriott or the Holiday Inn on Holcombe(not the one by the Stadium! It is fine but too far from the bus line). You can have the hotel shuttle easily take you to Rice Village which is a collection of stores, bars, restaurants(including an excellent Japanese one called Kubo’s). It is about 5 minutes away.

You know what I have changed my mind. I really think you would like the Med Center, blow the Galleria off.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

OH, houston1836 and Abagadodave! How nice and considerate of you guys. I'm glad to hear you and your comments makes me feel far relaxed about my planning.

I was hesitant at first to pose a question in this forum but now I think this is the best thing I've ever done. THANKS, EVERYONE who kindly responded to me. This is great because I now expect more trips to Houston and much more fun in them, rather than just staying safe to attend a workshop.

9. Re: Zip 77025 stay close to Galleria and transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 13, 2009