We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joel osteen

Mokena, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Joel osteen

Hi, My family plans on going to see Joel Osteen the weekend of April 19th, We would like to see him on Saturday the 19th spending the night in Houston and than leaving on the 20th. Any suggestions on where to stay that is close to Lakewood church and any advice on seeing Joel Osteen, what time to get there etc. would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joel osteen

Any hotel in the Greenway and Upper Kirby area off of US 59 should do. The church is directly on the north service road.

Otherwise, I don't know anything about it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,248 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joel osteen

The closest hotel is walkable....here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56003-d111618-…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joel osteen

Lakewood Church or the old Summit where the Rockets used to play (basketball) is attached to the old renaissance (sp?) which I guess is the Double Tree. I don't know anything about Joel Osteen either, other than what you read on the news. I do know certain things about his Father where he first started out in Porter, Texas but will remain unsaid. I cannot for the world think of the Father's name.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joel osteen

Ah, the old Summit- where I saw the Bee Gees and Neal Diamond- in the 70's- yipes!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joel osteen

I live in Austin and 3 years ago I went on a 3 day shopping trip to Houston and Sunday morning I went to Lakewood. I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn by the Galleria and loved it. I like to stay at hotels in Galleria area because Westheimer Road is loaded with more shops and restaurants in both directions. There are also about 3 other shopping areas within walking distance of Galleria with great restaurants.

Anyway, back to Lakewood. I used to live in Houston and I knew that Joel has a "deal" with those vacant parking garages all around Lakewood. They are for the folks that work in Greenway Plaza offices during the week and are empty on Sun. So I got there in about 10 mins and there were lots of policeman directing traffic and I went straight into one of the high-rise p. garages. Then me and about 100 others walked about 2 blocks to the church and I got there early. As mentioned, it was a basketball/event arena back in the 70's. I walked in lobby and stopped in my tracks because I did not know where to go. Since I probably looked confused a very nice volunteer usher walked up to me and asked if he could be of help. I told him I was from Austin and this was my first time. He then said if I was from Austin that I needed to follow him. Guess where we went? Yep, right to the middle front row section. That is were they put special guests and out of towers. I was about row 12 dead center to his podium. It was awesome.

Went back recently and had all intentions of sitting somewhere on my own, but again, I was approached and told him my plan and he said forget it and took me back to the front rows again.

The nice thing about it was that on TV you only see 30 mins of the service. In person, you see music program and Joel and Victoria come out for a few mins to say hello. At the end of the service they go somewhere in a side lobby of the auditorium and have a receiving line. I didn't have time for that.

Lastly, don't miss the big book store. I believe it was on the 2nd floor. It's very nice.

Have fun and everything was soooooo easy. Lot's of good places to eat in that part of Houston and there is a Whole Foods nearby if you need to grab some hotel munchies.

Houston
Level Contributor
104 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joel osteen

There are now lots of restaurants within walking distance of Lakewood if you do indeed stay at one of the hotels within walking distance. (One advantage of this is not having to park!). There is a little strip center across the street with a Potbelly, Cafe Express, even a sushi place.

7. Re: Joel osteen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 16, 2015