We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

granduca vs. houstonian

Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
granduca vs. houstonian

Which one would be better--Granduca or Houstonian? We're headed to Houston for a family celebration and a trip to the rodeo in March.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

Both are strictly first-class hotels. The Houstonian is somewhat remote, being located on its own grounds. The Granduca is located in Uptown, an upscale shopping and restaurant area. The latter is closer to The Galleria and the other attractions nearby (probably about 1-1.25 miles closer).

The Houstonian is probably a little less formal, and offers excellent health club facilities, along with a beautiful walking/running track (probably about 0.4 mis long), tennis courts, etc., and a full spa. You'd have to check with the Granduca to see what their facilities are, but I feel sure you'd be happy with either hotel.

Make sure you order your rodeo tickets as soon as they become available at the following site: http://hlsr.com/ I believe the schedule of entertainers will be announced early next month.

Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

Thx!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

My pleasure...welcome to Houston, and if any other questions arise, don't hesitate to call on us.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

I'd recommend the Houstonian because of its remote and quiet location, and better mix of facilities. It's also going to offer a better price value in most cases. Any you will almost certainly want to have a rental car for either location.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

You cannot go wrong with either one but I too would go with The Houstonion as my first choice. You will need a car.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

I'm not going to recommend one over the other, but let me point out one advantage Granduca has--its proximity to other restaurants. Literally within walking distance are Tasting Room, Champps America, Arturo's Uptown Italiano, Uptown Sushi, McCormick & Schmick's, Etoile Cuisine et Bar, and Potbelly Sandwich Shop (all of these are within Uptown Park center).

The Houstonian has only its own restaurant, Olivette. Any other choices will entail getting into your car to drive somewhere else.

I'd agree with Jackta that the prices will probably be lower at The Houstonian, probably because (1) it's a little further from the Galleria and (2) it's off the beaten path a little. That is a strong positive if you're looking for a quiet, secluded location.

Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

Thanks

Level Contributor
41 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

Helpful. Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

Hi E,

Prices wont be particularly "low" anywhere, during the Rodeo. Both hotels are amazing, and are close to different types of venues, so you might choose by what else you want to do, when not at the HLS&R.

Enjoy!

10. Re: granduca vs. houstonian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, January 18, 2015