We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Hi All -

I will be travelling to Houston in a few weeks for business, and need to figure out where to stay. I will be visiting clients all over the area. Arriving IAH on Sunday night with my first Monday meeting I believe in the galleria area (as I just have street addresses, I'm not sure of areas if they're not on the map) and ending pretty close to where the gulf freeway meets the 8.

Next day I start and end in Pearland.

Next day start in Sugarland and ending in League City.

I'm not sure where I will be on the fourth day, but will be flying out of IAH, and asked for my last visits to be close to the airport.

I would rather not move hotels and pack every day if I don't have to BUT will do if it makes sense.

BTW - I prefer Marriot brand hotels.

Thanks so much for your help!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Hi again - I'm here now. I'm finding yelp not as helpful as usual. I would like some good Mexican, as close as possible. Any ideas? Would prefer casual , but not a deal breaker.

Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

If you drive east in Westheimer, you'll find Highland Village with Escalantes, a great Mexican place. It's only about 5-8 minutes from your hotel. If you go west on Westheimer, you'll find an ok place called Los Cucos. Escalantes is better. If you're willing to travel about 10-15 min east on Westheimer, right by Kirby, you'll encounter Chuy's, a legend, and my personal fave. Ask for the creamy jalapeño dip to come with your chips.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

I'd advise you to skip Los Cuco's unless budget is your primary concern. It's very ordinary, and portions are huge, but nothing great. If you head west on Westheimer to Augusta, then turn right for about a mile, just before you hit Woodway you'll find Cyclone Anaya's, our personal favorite. (Not quite as loud as Chuy's, either.) Traffic will be easier than heading east on Westheimer at this time of day, too.

Edited: 6:32 pm, October 21, 2013
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Btw, please give me a thumbs up or down for the Aloft. My husband is hosting his international pals there for a couple nights before they head to Austin for Formula 1. It will be 3 men in a double room. Eek!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Thanks everyone - ended up at Escalantes...very good and the perfect vibe for taking out a junior associate. The table side guacamole was to die for, fajitas good and flan - eh. Perfect spot for what I wanted.

Aloft....it's ok. Rooms are really small, which is fine for me solo, wouldn't want two more adults though... I don't like the shower dispenser shampoo/conditioner combo, and the weird closet set up. I do like the big TV and minimalist decor. I mean, it's a very nice budget hotel, much nicer than a typical holiday inn express. However, I would usually stay at the JW or the Westin - those just wouldn't work for the rest of my group, and it didn't want to leave them to fend for themselves.

Now, I will have to figure out dinner for tomorrow... Picking up two more fresh college grads at IAH, and will be returning here for dinner.... What would be good between the airport and here?

Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Thanks for the hotel info. I warned them! As for some spots to eat in the Galleria area, I like Houston's (American food), which is just west of your hotel. Very close. Kenny and Ziggy's is a fun New York style deli, with big portions. It's in the strip center off Post Oak and Westheimer across from the Galleria. Tiny Boxwoods on Saint St, not too far from where you had dinner today, has outdoor seating in a beautiful courtyard. It will impress and calm anyone. The menu is fantastic and casual. It's my personal oasis. ;-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Canyon Café across the Galleria Mall is pretty decent.

F M
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Thanks for the info. We plan to go to Space Centre, San Jacinto Monument, USS battleship and city hall. where should we stay?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

Clear Lake or Kemah area might work best. NASA is very close to Clear Lake / NASA. San Jac and Battle ship is pretty much next to each other and North of Clear Lake.

20. Re: Where will it make sense to stay - logistics.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 29, 2014