We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

We'll be in Houston in a few weeks to watch the Texans against the Saints. We're staying at the Courtyard Houston Medical Center on Main Street and wonder if it's an easy walk. I know that it's within a mile but don't know if it's an easy path or trying to cross highway?

Also, do the Academy stores in Houston sell Saints clothes? I'm wondering if will all the hurricane transplants into Houston does Academy sell anything other than Texans stuff?

thanks for the help...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

Hi,

I do see a few Saints items here, from time to time, as I'm a fan since some family is from there. Academy may have some items, as well at WalMart. I will try to check for you, as it seems I'm at Walmart often! If you have time, though, I would probably order online though, to save your going from store to store, and you can order from the WalMart website, for good prices:

http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&ei=xhIJUu2SHefX2AWn-oDgDg&fp=5ab4d7738dc0bc66&q=walmart+new+orleans+saints+apparel&sa=X&tbm=shop&ved=0CCoQsxg

The walk to Reliant might be quite hot, and you can ride the Metro Light Rail, which is easy and inexpensive. You will want to ride the rail fairly early on a game day, as it gets crowded, but it will be fun to get to the stadium, to enjoy the pre-game fun. Here is information on the rail:

visithoustontexas.com/travel-tools/…

Have a great time!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

Gina--

You'd only have to cross one major street, O.S.T. (Old Spanish Trail), and there's a traffic light there, so if you're up to the walk, it shouldn't be a real problem.

Here's a page from Academy's website, which would seem to indicate that they do sell at least some Saints merchandise, although it may not be available at all stores:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearch?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&catalogId=10051&Ntk=All&langId=-1&storeId=10151&N=861324023

Have fun!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

Gene & Cupcake - thanks so much for the information! I know the Academy stores we have here base their supply by the more local teams and although we have quite a bit of Texans stuff - being the Saints fan, I was hopeful we'd find it in Houston. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

My pleasure--that's what we're here for! (Not to spoil your trip, but I hope your Saints lose to our Texans!)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

Hi Gina,

You are very welcome, enjoy the game!

Best dilemma ever: Drew Brees or J.J. Watt !

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

Having just been into a number of Academy stores this past week (tax free holiday), I saw very little non-Texans gear. There was a smattering of Cowboys and I honestly don't remember seeing any Saints gear.

If you really want to make sure you're flying your colors, then you might be better off ordering through Academy's web site for delivery to you (you should still have time before the game)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

I know it may be a bit late - but, as far as your walk from the Courtyard Medical Center to Reliant Stadium, you can do it.

As Gene pointed out, you'll have to cross OST but lots of people do so on game days. I'll add that you'll also have to cross busy South Main (a large arterial street) but I think you'll be fine.

I happen to live in the neighborhood so I have some first-hand experience. Very glad I stumbled on this thread since this alerts me to a possible traffic snarl on Sunday to plan around.

8. Re: Courtyard to Reliant Stadium - walkable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 24, 2014