We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best BBQ in Houston!

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best BBQ in Houston!

anyone have any thoughts on who has the best bbq in Houston? thanks.

53 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

And overcharged!

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

Killen's new location had its grand opening Saturday 2/22/14...2-hour wait...now open tues-sun 11am--til they run out of Q....3613 E. Broadway, Pearland....interesting to note, the new pitmaster-in-training is from Underbelly.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

We are staying in the Medical Centre Area and driving to the Rodeo at the Reliant Centre. Any great places to eat somewhat close?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,547 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

LanaB: Of the places mentioned in this thread already, the 2 that I believe would be closest to the Med Center area where you are staying are Luling and Gatlin's. Both are inside the 610 loop. I just tried Gatlin's for the first time, since relocating to Houston, and found it quite good. Here are the listings:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d44…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d34…

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

Lana--are you asking about BBQ, or about good places to eat of any sort? If BBQ, I agree totally with bk_t1, with a caveat that if you go to Gatlin's, get there early, as they run out of BBQ every day. Luling City Market is very good, but very expensive for BBQ.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

LanaB, I live in the Medical Center/ Reliant Center area and must mention that the immediate area is sadly lacking in BBQ restaurants. Goode's on Kirby is probably the closest, and as you can see above, Gene and I both find it disappointing.

There will be food vendors at the rodeo. I'd bet you will probably find some BBQ there.

5 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

Goode Company

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

Time for an update here. Post #1 on this thread was indeed the correct answer. Killen's in Pearland is best in the Houston area. The beef ribs set them apart from all others. Daniel Vaughn from Texas Monthly gave it a 4.75 rating a few months ago, which would make Killen's a Top 5 establishment on par with Louie Mueller's. Alison Cook ranked Killen's #3 on her Houston Top 100 restaurant list. If you make the trek, just be sure to get there by 12 noon. There is a line at 11 when they open, but it often dies down a bit by noon....anything later and they might be sold out.

Closer to home, I have found another place that serves very good BBQ: Roegels Barbecue Co, 2223 S. Voss....formerly known as Baker's Ribs. A good review by Daniel Vaughn tipped me off. The brisket there is solid, and I just found out that they have served beef ribs the past 2 Fridays. Killen and Gatlin may be the Top of the Heap in Houston, but Roegels is much closer, stays open 'til 8pm and still has very good Q.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

Aw, shucks. Do I win a prize?

I haven't been to Baker's (now Roegels) in a while but I remember the pork ribs being good too. Do they still serve that tasty warm sauce on the side?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,547 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Best BBQ in Houston!

<but Roegels is much closer>

Closer to what? Gatlin's is closer to downtown, last time I checked.

Since we're noting updates, it's been reported that Gatlin's will be moving soon - to a location just outside the loop - at 34th and Ella Boulevard. New larger digs, so maybe they won't run out as often. Full disclosure, I have not made the trek to Pearland yet.

Reply to: Best BBQ in Houston!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted