We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendations

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendations

Going to a conference in Houston next week. Which hotels do you suggest that are not expensive yet comfortable?

Thanks

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Chef--Where is your conference being held? Do you plan to have a car to have at your disposal to get to and from the meetings?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Sorry I forgo to mention that. The conf is at the convention center downtown (George Beown). Unless I am very close to the convention center I will rent a car.

3. Re: Hotel Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, July 22, 2013
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Generally speaking, the hotels downtown are going to be more expensive, but if you have to rent a car and pay for parking downtown, that will make up for some of the lower cost of a hotel away from the George R. Brown ("GRB") Conference Center.

Right now, the Hilton Americas is showing a rate of $79/night from 7/26-7/29, but other people have said that rooms are very hard to find and that rates are very high for next week. No one seems to know why. Meanwhile, checking Expedia, it looks like there's a Howard Johnson Express Inn Downtown that's got a couple of rooms available, and a Carefree Inn near the Texas Medical Center with a few rooms available. (You could take the MetroRail all the way into downtown from there, and wouldn't need a car.) I'd make reservations quickly, though.

Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendations

I have stayed at many downtown hotels in Houston and Gene is right, you do pay for the location. Most will shuttle you where ever you need to go though and that will save you time and Houston traffic headaches.

You'll need a larger budget to stay at downtown places like The Lancaster, Hotel Za Za, Inn at the Ballpark, Crown Plaza. His idea of the Holiday Inn Express on Bell St. would work but you would likely need a car. Cabs are not easy to grab downtown but they might be better over at the GRB because of the conference.

There are some nice middle budget hotels I set family up in out along the West Sam Houston Tollroad but you will need a car to get to and from your event.

Hope you get to enjoy Houston some. It's a wonderful city.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Hilton America is your best option even if you have to pay a little extra. There is a walkway to the convention center from the hotel. Renting a car, gas, parking will eventually add up and you can save all the headaches. If that does not work Embassy Suites just down the street if not Holiday Inn Express.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I guess due to the huge conference and the upcoming restaurant week, the hotel rates and availabities are not normal!

I ended up getting Crown Plaza in Sugarland. Any suggestions for food and in the hotel itself?

Thanks

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Sugarland is about a 30 minute drive from downtown in non-rush hour traffic. Parking around the convention center will run you between $10-20 dollars a day, if you can find a place. Are you saving that much at the hotel in Sugarland to make it worth your time and trouble?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recommendations

First, be aware you'll have at least a 40-45 minute drive to the GRB every morning during rush hour traffic, just so you can plan accordingly.

As to food, you are reasonably close to Chinatown, which offers many excellent choices (these are mostly along Bellaire Blvd), although our favorite is along the southbound access road of I-59 south of the Bellaire exit, called Fung's Kitchen.

The neighborhood also offers many excellent Indian and Pakistani restaurants, mostly on Hillcroft near I-59. One of our favorites is a hole in the wall called Himalaya (in a center at the NW corner of I-59 at Hillcroft).

If you're looking for other types of cuisine, Westheimer Rd., from Gessner east to The Galleria, offers restaurants of virtually every type and every price range. Let us know what you have in mind, and we can offer suggestions.

Welcome to Houston.

Edited: 4:20 pm, July 29, 2013
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Recommendations

Thanks for the info. Is the idea of going to the galleria mall (dropping off my friend) then take the metro to go to downtown a good one or not recommend?

Also ingot the hotel for 130 a night, for a suite. I think I got a decent deal.

Thanks