We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13hour stop over in Houston

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
13hour stop over in Houston

My best friend and I will be stopping over in Houston on our way back from Belize. We arrive about 7.30pm and our flight is not til about 9.30am the following morning.

Any recommendations to make the most of our brief stop over? We will probably be broke from 2 weeks in Belize so fancy restaurants or hotels are out....

Maybe a nice bar, some food and a decent place to lay our wad? Should we just stick to a hotel near the airport rather than head into town?

We've never been so just staying in the airport seems a waste :-)

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

Kat--

Houston bars by law shut down at 2:00 AM (not that you'd likely stay up that late with a 9:30 AM flight). There are a number of decent (not fancy) hotels near the airport, and in the Kingwood and Humble areas, you could find some decent restaurants. Considering that it's roughly a 35-40 minute trip to downtown by cab (and the same to return), and that you'll probably want to sleep for about 8 hours of your 14-hour stay, needing another 2 hours ahead of your outbound flight and one hour to clear customs inbound, you really only have about three free hours, so the Humble/Kingwood area seems to make most sense.

We have a Destination Expert (Kingwood1811) who is far more familiar with those areas than I, so I'll defer to him for specific recommendations for restaurant/bar recommendations.

Good luck, and welcome to Houston.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

Thanks for this! We are not super concerned with getting lots of sleep- we both survive on little sleep during the week that's to long working hours and busy social lives!

But agree that staying in one place would seem sensible.

The other thing I probably should have mentioned is my friend is a vegetarian so probably no steak houses!

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

Thanks for this! We are not super concerned with getting lots of sleep- we both survive on little sleep during the week that's to long working hours and busy social lives!

But agree that staying in one place would seem sensible.

The other thing I probably should have mentioned is my friend is a vegetarian so probably no steak houses!

Thanks in advance!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

There is a wonderful Italian restaurant in Kingwood called Sorrento. While it's not a vegetarian restaurant, they certainly could prepare a non-meat dish for your friend. I'm sure there will be reviews on both TA and on other sites, such as www.yelp.com. While we have not eaten at the Kingwood location, the one on Westheimer in Houston is one of our favorites in town. Here's their web site: http://sorrentokingwood.com/

Edited: 12:54 pm, July 09, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

As Gene mentioned the Humble area is a good place - about 20 mts to the airport. What I might to is find a motel East side of 59 - I think there is a Super 8 and a Motel 6. From there you can walk to several eateries / bars. The motels are not the best but for one night should be okay and on the less expensive side. Italiano's is another Italian restaurant that has good food (vegetarian too) and is walking distance from both motels plus several others including chain restaurants. I don't think either of these offer a free shuttle but check - and if so then you will have no transport cost. Any of these restaurants you can order drinks.

Second option is to stay on the West side of 59 and go to a restaurant / bar around the Mall (Deerbrook) but will be a longer walk. There is a Japanese restaurant and a Mexican restaurant. To walk across 59 will be a long walk as you will have to go to the closest street to cross and then back to wherever you want to go.

Some motels closer to the airport do offer free shuttle but you don't really want to be walking in that area late at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

Thanks Kingwood, that's really helpful. I'll definitely check out the motels and try and find one with airport transport- great tip!

I did a wee bit if research myself and found a place called the tasting rooms at kings harbor. I'm mostly interested in this for its pretty setting (if we can't visit downtown Houston or any of the 'things to do', we might as well sit in a pleasant setting and, having grown up by water, the lakeside is a winner!)

Would we be able to easily get a taxi from a motel to kings harbor? Are there similar places that you could recommend, in a similar setting?

Also, our next flight is stopping off in another American city (just for an hour, I think) en route to London. Would it count as an internal flight? And this not need to get to the airport quite so early (as we would for an international flight)?

Thanks,

Kat

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

You need to check with your airline to see what they set as the requirement for how far in advance you need to be at the airport--that's the guideline you must follow. Generally two hours gives you plenty of time to check bags, get through security and find the gate area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

You will need to get to the airport as an international flight even though the first segment is domestic.

Kings harbor is a great location. Few other restaurants other than Tasting Room. You will need to arrange a pick up by calling a taxi as you will not find a taxi at Kings Harbor.

9. Re: 13hour stop over in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2014