We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

Wondering where to eat on our first night. After probably 18 hours travelling and an 8 hour time difference we won't want to venture out too far and preferably not in the car. But we do prefer to eat in places other than hotels, especially as we'll want a good old stretch of the legs!

Are there any casual food spots within walking distance from the Sheraton? Or would we be best to stop off for food on the way to the Sheraton from Hobby?

Thanks

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

If you land at Hobby, I assume you're arriving on a domestic flight and do not have to clear customs. Hobby is a small airport, so if you've arranged a car rental ahead of time, you should be able to deboard, pick up baggage, and get to the car rental within 30 minutes.

From there to The Galleria will probably take you another 45 minutes at that time of day, if it's on a weekday, as it would be in the midst of rush hour. (If it's a Saturday or Sunday, probably no more than 20 minutes or so would be my guess.) I've never rented a car at Hobby, but I believe most, if not all, of the rental agencies are remote there, as well. Perhaps someone who is familiar with the situation can clarify.

As to route from Hobby, personally, I'd take I-45 north to I-610 west, following it until it becomes I-610 north. Then take the Westheimer exit (almost immediately after the I-59 exit?), stay on the feeder [or access] road (not sure what you call this in jolly old England) past Westheimer, make a U-turn at San Felipe so that you are now headed south on the I-610 feeder road, and your hotel will be on your right after 300-400 metres or so. This route is a little longer, but is easier and has less traffic than taking I-59 to get to your hotel.

Since you didn't get the extra day of vacation for July 4th, Remember, remember the 5th of November...(I always celebrate Guido Fawkes Day with my good British friends, the ones who knew him as Guido, and not the more familiar "Guy").

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

The best find if you are hungry for Italian is right across the street from the Galleria (east side). It's called Piatto and it's address is 4925 W. Alabama @ Post Oak. There are many great items on the menu but if you like asparagus do try their fried asparagus appetizer. It is amazing.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

We have a change over at Atlanta so hopefully a nice quick exit at Hobby.

As for Guy Fawkes Day - we don't get vacation for that either!! We do however in general have a more generous vacation entitlement than you guys I believe. My husband works for a US organisation in a UK office and they are always amazed at how much holiday he gets (33 days a year).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

Hi,

Are you landing from the UK in another US city, then connecting into Houston? Otherwise, if you are flying directly to Houston,you will land at IAH. You will belanding at a busy time for incoming International flights, if so, and it will probably take you about 90 minutes to process through, and then another 40 minutes to the Galleria area.

Cheesecake Factory is actually better if you go a bit later on a weekend night. The majority of the diners will come to eat before 8pm , so by about 8:30, you will get a table pretty quickly.

There's also Maggiano's, which is a short walk away, as well:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56003-d44…

Enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

Hi cupcake

We fly into Atlanta and pick up a connectibg flight to Hobby so we'll go through immigeation in Atlanta. Hopefully it means a quick getaway at Hobby.

We land at Hobby at 17:30 which, according to our body clocks will be 01:30 so I'm thinking that unless we sleep on the flight (unlikely) we'll just want something quick and light. I guess we'll just have to see how we feel.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

Hi,

Yes you would go through Immigration when you first land in the USA, so that sounds good. Cheesecake Factory has great salads, if you want lighter fare. Of course, cheesecake and a cup of tea would be a good dinner, on my planet! :) I wouldn't venture to stop on the way from Hobby; it can get a bit desolate out there, at night.

Hope your trip goes well, please let us know if you have other questions.

If you are looking for other dining suggestions, use this website; you can input your criteria; ie, area of town, type of food, outdoor patio, etc, and then find suggestions, with good reviews and photos, as well:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/

Enjoy!

CC

17. Re: Restaurants walking distance from Sheraton Galleria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 11, 2014