We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

I am flying from London Heathrow (LHR) with United Airlines transiting through Houston (IAH) onwards to Orlando (MCO). Due to flight changes I only have 50mins to transit. What are the chances of acheiving this???

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

My experience with IAH, its immigration hall, another security check and train is that you have no chance

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

Slim to none is my opinion. I would go back to United and see if there is anything you/they can do to get a better connection. Visit their website to check out alternatives for the IAH-MCO segment first so you can ask about a specific flight. Check the seats available section for each flight so you can see if anything is there They may tell you that this is a legal connection, meaning they can book it for you, but unfortunately it's not really makeable, especially if you are on a flight that arrives between about 1:30 and 4:00 pm--that's when long hauls from London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Germany arrive, as well as flights on Singapore Airlines and Emirates land. Immigration control is a madhouse then.

Doncaster, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

Felschurch/Tx0ffWeGo

Thank for your responses, I'll contact United and see how I stand.

Doncaster, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

Tx0ffWeGo

Just contacted United Airlines and they have agreed to put me on an earlier flight out of Heathrow at no extra cost, this giving us much more time for transiting Houston (IAH). Thanx for your help.

Jake

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

That's great for you. Put this down in your diary as a red letter day--United Airlines doing something nice for a customer at no charge and in a timely manner. Anything else out there you want to try your luck at before the day is done? :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

That is good news. As the others said, you would have not made it. I am surprised that they even let you buy it with that short of a connection. You had mentioned "due to flight changes". If United changed the flight they should have already put you in the earlier flight.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

Kingwood--you actually have to ask for the change, but United is very accommodating. We had booked a pair of business-first tickets to Stockholm from IAH via Frankfurt, and United changed the departing flight by 45 minutes, making our connection too short. After I called them to point out the problem, they allowed us to change the flight to go through Heathrow, which saved us roughly $1800 per ticket (with no fee for ticket changes). The point is that it's up to the customer to find the problem and call the airline, at least with United.

Meanwhile, Jake...congratulations on getting the problem resolved.

Edited: 10:29 pm, May 21, 2013
8. Re: Transiting IAH Houston Airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2014