We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
394 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

My United flight will arrive in Houston from Boston, leaving me with a 49 minute connecting time to get to the international departures area for a flight to Guatemala. If my flight is on time, will that give me enough time to make it?? Thanks!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

United works out of Terminals C and E I think. You may not even have to change terminals...even if you do, 49 minutes is enough time. Use the TerminaLink if changing terminals.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Assuming your inbound flight to IAH is on time and that your luggage is checked all the way through to Guatemala, you have a decent chance, but be sure to let the flight attendant know, especially if you're arriving at one terminal and leaving from another.

Just to be safe, I'd check to see if you can arrange for an earlier flight into IAH, or see if there's a later flight into Guatemala in case of delays.

Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

If your flight to Guatemala is also United you should be okay. Get the boarding passes to Gua at Boston and make sure the luggage is checked all the way to GUA.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
394 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Thanks, Gehrig. Hopefully it'll be the same terminal!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
394 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Thanks, Gene. We will only have carry-on luggage. Hopefully the flight will land on time and it won't be an issue. Your suggestion of letting the flight attendant know is a good one. Thanks!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
394 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Yes, both flights are on United, so that's good. It would be great if they were in the same terminal. Don't know anything about your local airport. Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

Having just had a trip spoiled due to delayed flights, I want to say something on this matter.

When we book online, most people (including me) assume the best case scenario. Alas, life does not work that way.

For example, my itinerary (booked through United) allowed an hour for a flight from Japan's Fukuoka airport to its Norita airport in Tokyo. Theoretically it should be okay. Upon arriving in Tokyo, to my consternation a bus ride was needed to get to the terminal. The ride took 10 minutes, plus we had to wait for everyone on the plane to get on board.

It turned out to be a very tight connection. I noticed, when I arrived in San Francisco to clear customs, that that my checked bag had a HOT tag attached to it. Apparently the people at the Norita Airport went out of their way to get my bag on the international flight in time for its departure, for which I am eternally grateful.

On another occasion, I arrived in Manhattan on time, but my checked bag did not -- apparently because the one-hour connect time at LAX was not enough for my little bag to be delivered from my commuter flight to the big jet in time for its departure.

I learned my lessons: allow 3 hours between flights to allow for (i) delayed flights, (2) transfer time for checked baggage between flights, and (3) getting lost in the airport.

Of course, you can still be out of luck if your flight is cancelled, but that's another story.

Edited: 7:10 pm, October 18, 2013
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

I have to agree with AG. Had to watch last Superbowl in Houston. Knew it was tight..alerted agent as we deplaned...train broke down between terminals...arrived at gate before takeoff but gate closed. Give yourself plenty of time, including time for a coffee!

Edited: 10:27 pm, October 18, 2013
9. Re: Airport question re: adequate connecting flight time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 20, 2014