We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Houston

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Houston

Hi,

We will be travelling through the USA in August / September and will be in Houston from 26-30 August.

I was just wanting to know if anyone could help with hotels and whats the best area to stay in. I have been looking at the Galleria area and noticed its a bit pricey...our budget would be hovering around $130-$150 a night - I have noticed Houston is a bit pricey so if its a great hotel in the middle of everything I could squeeze our budget a tiny bit more...

We want to check out some museums - definitely any space related ones as my fiancé and I love space - and we also want to do some shopping :-)

Would the Galleria area be best for shopping and museums? We will have a rental car so we can always stay out a bit further and drive in.

Thank you so much in advance for help and we CANT WAIT TO GET OVER THERE!!!!!! SO EXCITED :-)

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Houston

You will want to visit NASA for the space museum. www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/index.html

visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/museums/

The Galleria is centrally located and a gtreat option for shopping/dining and not too far to the musuems. Try these hotels Drury Inn & Suites , La Quinta Inn & Suites, Homewood Suites or Hilton Garden Inn in the Galleria area.

You could also try the Residence Inn on Westpark. It is between the Galleria and Museum District.

A word of caution, Houston in August is extremely hot and humid. You'll want to limit any outdoor time to early morning and evenings. You may also want to bring a light jacket for indoors though because everybody has the air conditioners on full blast. Some places just freeze you out.

Welcome to Houston!!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Houston

I get great hotel prices at Hotwire - Just checked 4-Star Houston Galleria area hotel $67 per night. I would book that without hesitation if you wanted to be in the Galleria area.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Houston

If you do plan to go to Space Center Houston (NASA) make sure to check their website for discounts on admission. There are also discout coupons to be had at many fast food outlets, such as McDonald's, once you get here. If you go and can plan to be at NASA when it opens, that's a better time to take the tram tour, if that's one of the things you decide to do. Also, after your visit you can drive the short distance to the Kemah Boardwalk for lunch--several choices around there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Houston

I too would recommend the Galleria area but just to give you another option maybe Clear Lake / Kemah area. This is close to NASA and South of down town Houston. It is also between Houston and Galveston. Advantages: less expensive hotels plus no parking (Galleria area parking can be high). Closer to NASA / Kemah and Galveston. Disadvantages: A drive to go to Galleria for shopping, other museums, night life.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Houston

There are many hotels/motels within a short walk of The Galleria itself that are not as expensive as, for example, JW Marriott, Westin Oaks & Westin Galleria--just a little work on your part will turn up many choices.

The museum district is a 10-15 minute drive from the Galleria area, but hotels in that area tend to be fairly expensive except on weekends, when rates drop in the Medical Center area. There's really not much to do other than the museums in that area.

Nasa is a 30-40 minute drive from Houston, depending on traffic, virtually regardless of where you stay. Other than the Kemah boardwalk and Nasa itself, there's not a whole lot to occupy your time down there, so one full day and evening is plenty in that area.

The Galleria area will give you plenty of shopping opportunities, although it definitely isn't inexpensive unless you can catch a sale. It really sounds as though that area is your best bet.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Houston

I suggest you use www.hotels.com to look for discounted name brand hotels in the Galleria area such as those mentioned in the prior posts. Sometimes using this site 6 to 9 months ahead doesn't yield especially good results. But 2-3 months ahead can be much better. Then, if you find a good deal and can cancel whatever you've already booked, you're in heaven. This site, and perhaps a few others, lets you know which hotels you are booking as compared to others such as hotwire.com which does not. Welcome to Houston!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Houston

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help guys :-)

I went on here and checked reviews for the hotels you mentioned Knr and we have booked the Drury Inn :-) The reviews are great but what got us was the free food and drinks hahaha! Plus it is close to everything and people were saying the staff were great.

We got it for $720 so I thought that's a great price for the area and what you get.

We are definitely going to check out NASA. 2 years ago when we came over we went to the Kennedy Space Centre and were in heaven so NASA is a must do :-)

TxOffWeGo - thanks for the tips about NASA and the coupons you get :-)

Oh I have heard it is stinking hot in August...and humid too!! We are used to warm weather and humidity so it should be okay....I hope haha! But I will be having an awesome time anyways so it wont matter :-)

We can't wait to come over!! Only 12 pay days (I get paid fortnightly) to go now - yes I am counting pay days as months still sounds too long ha ha ha!

Thank you all again for your help :-) we really appreciate it.

8. Re: Hotels in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 23, 2014