We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in New Orleans

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in New Orleans

We will be travelling from London to Houston stay with family for Christmas this year, and then taking a few days over New Years Eve to do some travelling and New Orleans has grabbed our attention, as well as San Antonio and Corpus Christie. We have a 13 year old daughter and will be on a reasonable budget. Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

With a 13 year old along, I would suggest you take a good look at San Antonio as opposed to New Orleans and Corpus Christi. December/January generally are not good beach months in Texas. While many people will tell you that there are lots of family-oriented things to do around New Orleans, I wouldn't take a child there, especially over New Year's Eve.

The Riverwalk will be beautifully lit over the holiday period. There is a wide range of activities--theme parks, Spanish missions including The Alamo, lots of good food, shopping (outlet mall and otherwise) and other attractions. In addition, you will be in a great location to explore some of the small towns of the Texas Hill Country. If your time, interests, and budget permit, you could even look into a short stay on a dude ranch.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

I too would go with San Antonio. NO is good for adults but not so much for the teen. While in SA check out either Fiesta (Six Flags) and Sea World.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

SA has some great attractions for kiddos. Sea World was open last NYE and had their fireworks at 9:00pm so families could get to bed at a reasonable time. There is a hugh free party downtown with fire works at midnight.

In addition the zoo is open every day (could go NY day) Natural Bridge Caverns are cool also.

You could make a quick trip to the coast but it's another 2 1/2 hours each way. Weather might affect that decision also.

If you guys like hiking, that time of year is a great time to visit some of the state parks. Enchanted Rock would be on the top of my list.

If you do choose NOLA - the Audubon attractions, particularly the aquarium and the Insectorium are great for kids. The street performers fun for them, (go ahead and tip them, that's how they survive.) My kids also like going to Cafe' De Mounde late at night or early in the morning. Made them feel grown-up being night owls.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

Thank you for your feedback, I shall bear all of your points in mind....so exciting!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

My vote is for San Antonio as well.

Here is a video and info on the very large public display of fireworks 2012:

http://tinyurl.com/a5b85co

In addition, the tourist attractions for a 13 year old would be very abundant in San Antonio.

6. Re: New Years Eve in New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 02, 2014