We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston transportation

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Houston transportation

Hi everyone,

I need a little help and I know one of you will be able to answer my questions because everyone who uses this site is always so helpful.

My daughter, her husband and their 3 boys, ages 13, 8 and 2-1/2 are going on a Disney cruise, leaving in about a week. They have a 7-hour layover in Houston and are looking for some kind of sightseeing tour that maybe (?) has a pickup at IAH? That's asking a little too much, I know, so how far is it from IAH to an attraction they might like? Are taxis used much? HELP, please! I'll appreciate any and all ideas. Money, of course, is tight so they're looking for something reasonably priced. Thanks again. I can't wait to read your replies to this long-winded missive.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston transportation

IAH is on the far north side of Houston. There are places to shop and dine but I don't really know of any kid friendly activities near the airport (hopefully someone from Houston will prove me wrong!) The museums and zoo are downtown half hour to an hour depending on traffic, probably too far/expensive by cab.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston transportation

As mentioned the IAH is a very, very, very long way to downtown Houston. My recommendation is to take a cab to The Woodlands for walking, looking in shops, canal boat ride and very nice restaurants. There is also a Mall just down the walkway where you catch the boat. It is a short boat ride, but it's fun.

Traffic in Houston metro can be horrible. The drive to the Woodlands, north of Houston should be much better unless there is a wreck blocking lanes. Whatever you choose to do, be sure and leave plenty of time for traffic back to the airport.

Here is info:

thewoodlandscvb.com/pages/…Default.aspx

http://www.thewoodlandsmall.com

www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwnQU1iNIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiiqlIA38Q4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyVtHP2ooRQ

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston transportation

There are several tour companies; houstontours.com and houstontours.net being two of them. They are quite expensive. NASA would be one option except the youngest will be bored plus it is not cheap. Another option might be to take the super shuttle (can book online) to Moody Gardens in Galveston itself and spend time there or just check out Galveston in general. Quite a bit to see plus when you are done you are just a short taxi to the ship - so no stressing out about traffic or anything. Finally, depending when they actually let you board (the ship) you can go in and relax and enjoy the festivities.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston transportation

I don't believe they are sailing out of Galveston. They would need to get back to IAH.

NASA is nearly 50 miles and Moody Gardens 72.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston transportation

To the original poster

As you can tell we are (or at least I am) confused. When you say a 7-hour layover is it to get back to IAH or is it 7-hours to sail out of Galveston? Disney does go out of Galveston too.

Galveston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston transportation

You could try visiting The Woodlands.

There's a Mall, shops, restaurants and The Ice Rink will be open until January 21, 2013. Try Vista Shuttles. They have a service from IAH Airport Hotels to The Woodlands. This is like the closest destination to IAH Airport.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston transportation

try this website of houston transportation:

http://limoandtowncar.us

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston transportation

Hi Janey,

It actually takes us only 22 minutes to get from our door,to a Houston Rockets game, downtown. With the time you have, and looking for something for the family, I would head to the Children's Museum of Houston; lots of interactive things for the kids to enjoy!

If the weather looks good, you could opt for a stroll at the Zoo, then walk over to the Museum of Natural History, to go to the Cockrell Butterfly center.

www.hmns.org/index.php…

with your entry ticket to the Butterfly Center, you all can tour most of the Museum, as well, which is really great, too.

Then head back to the airport for your flight, and the kids will have time to rest on your flight.

enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston transportation

The biggest obstacle you will have is transportation. Taxis to downtown/museum district/zoo or The Woodlands will be very expensive and it would be difficult to find another taxi to get back to the airport. I suppose you could rent a car, but that would also be pricey. 7 hours is not that much time and they'd probably be best to just hang out at the airport. Maybe buy a day pass for the United Club.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houston transportation

Hi,

Another fun idea, with quick travel time,might be to head to Deerbrook Mall; you all could shop, go to a movie,and also walk across the mall parking lot to Asian City for some great sushi and Chinese food, or to enjoy their hibachi table experience--my kids always enjoy that,and you are eating And having fun, at the same time. The Mall has a nice Barnes and Nobles to explore and relax in.

Seven hours just to sit at the gates, with kids, will get pretty monotonous! Taxi fare should be about $25. each way, with tip, if that.

Just be sure to get a phone number from the taxi company, to be able to call to have them come back and pick you up at the Mall, and call a good 30 minutes before you need them.

http://www.shopdeerbrookmall.com/

cc,

Cupcake