We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To south from Houston for 1 week

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
430 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
To south from Houston for 1 week

I will have business trip to Houston in July and thought after my job is done to take 1-2 weeks just for relaxing. Thought that good idea is to fly somewhere Central-America (Belize, Guatemala etc) but when I checked flight prices (United) then it's almost the same as to fly from Europe to Houston (800USD+).

Cheapest seemed to be Cancun direction but I have been there already.

Is the price level really so high?

Or may-be anybody has good suggestions what to do with my extra week. I can lay on the beach or just drive around for sights.

Checked also cruises from Galveston but again only cruises to Mexico...

Edited: 11:17 am, November 19, 2012
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To south from Houston for 1 week

Dante--

I've never been there, but have heard wonderful things about Costa Rica (United would likely be the best deal). I didn't think flights were as expensive as flights to Europe, but costs have definitely risen. It may be a little early to see any real "deals" on airfare yet, but keep checking. I think it will be about 2 more months before the rates start to become more competitive (about 6 months before the flight time).

Incidentally, we visited your city this summer--it is beautiful!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To south from Houston for 1 week

I agree, the deals aren't there yet. After the holidays and Spring Break travel (March-April), the summer fares will start coming out. Now that you know the high rate, you'll know when a steal comes along.

A site I like to watch is www.travelzoo.com

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
430 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To south from Houston for 1 week

Thanks for your feedback. Then I just wait for some time before making any reservations.

Gene, I have been in Costa Rica, so I want to discover new countries. That's why I thought about Belize or Guatemala or Honduras.

But I'm not ready to pay just for flight so much. May-be I have to try to find charters (travel package) what sometimes are cheaper (at least in Europe).

I'll check Travelzoo

4. Re: To south from Houston for 1 week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 16, 2013