We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area?

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
235 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which area?

My girlfriend and I will be spending a Friday night in Houston on our way to Austin and then back to Lafayette over the weekend. We are in our early 30's and are not big on clubs, we prefer bars with good beer selections or dive bars. Which area would be best for us? Downtown?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area?

Downtown is my recommendation, althought there are not many dive hotels in that area. Lots of discounts though. Don't forget valet parking charges.

My beer dive bar recs for nearby are as follows:

Flying Saucer (Higher end beer bar, popular first stop for many eating in the nearby restaurants), 705 Main Street

St Dane’s Bar (Converted 1950’s Gas Station, Primitive Setting with a few dogs tied up on the perimeter), 502 Elgin

The Hay Merchant (New Craft Beer Bar, Very Trendy and Crowded Most Nights), 1100 Westheimer Road

House of Blues, 1204 Caroline Street (inside of an upscale Center City Mall)

Ruthie’s Place (an original Houston dive bar, corrugated metal building, easy to miss when driving down Richmond), 1829 Richmond Avenue

West Alabama Ice House (an original Houston ice house, wide variety of customers, including many advanced age bikers on weekends, couple of food trucks adjacent for food), 1919 West Alabama

Lucky’s Pub (a little out of the way in any old Chinatown warehouse district, several no name clubs and dance places near by), 801 Emanuel

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
235 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area?

Awesome. Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area?

Most of the Dive bars are East of Downtown. If you stay dDowntown you can walk to a place like Flying Saucer. However staying DT will be a little more expensive and you have to pay for parking. If you stay close to 610 and 290 (on the way to Austin) you can find less expensive accomadation and free parking. The selection of bars will be limited but I am sure you can find one in that general area.

Another great place and cheap cheap beer like $1.00 is the Rice University bar. It is run by the Rice Alumni. It is called Vallahala. Not the easiest to find but cheap and limited food menu.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
842 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area?

West Alabama Icehouse is a great outdoor dive bar. Picnic tables, a couple of food trucks. Beer, wine and BYOB. If you like a wide variety of craft beer, Haymerchant is awesome.not a dive, but certainly not pretentios. Another couple of dive ibars are Alice's Tall Texan or Jimmy's located in the Heights.

5. Re: Which area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 10, 2013