We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA to Houston

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LA to Houston

today, 22:44

Tanialee27, Orange, Australia, 60 forum posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Texas next May starting in Houston then driving up to Dallas then across to Memphis. We are going to hire a car for the trip leaving from LA. Can anyone help with an interesting route between the two, not involving Vegas or the Grand Canyon as we seen those places on our last trip. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

You have two basic routes, the northern and the southern routes. The northern route is longer, and possibly a little more scenic, although much of your trip is through high desert either way. The northern route would basically follow I-15 to I-40. If you're going to go that route, I'd head south at Albuquerque onto I-25, continuing on to I-10 headed east until you get to US 90 (at Van Horn, Texas). You could then follow US 90 into San Antonio, with interesting stops along the way. Some of those in Texas include Big Bend State Park (the National Park is fairly far south and would require at least one extra day, but might be worth it), Ft Davis Observatory (slightly out of the way), some interesting towns including Marfa, Alpine, Marathon, Langtry, and others.

If you take the more southerly route, you'd take I-10 out of LA, which is mostly desert all the way into Texas. It really doesn't offer much in the way of scenery, but the drive can be made in two VERY hard days of driving (about 700 miles [1200 km] each day).

If you take the "pure" northerly route, you'd take I-40 into Amarillo, then head southeast toward Houston with nothing particularly interesting to see most of the way. This route would definitely require three days.

Having never traveled the northern route, I can't really speak to the scenery, but you would pass through some interesting towns. In Arizona, you'd go through Flagstaff (not far from Sedona), and also through the Petrified Forest National Park. In New Mexico, you would hit Albuquerque, only an hour's drive from Santa Fe, and another hour or so to Taos. This is a very pretty part of the state.

I hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful trip.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

The I40 route is my preference as it is more scenic and to me more interesting than I10, though it is longer. I40 tracks much of old Rt 66 if you like Americana. Santa Fe, NM is a unique and pretty city. Palo Duro Canyon about an hour south of Amarillo is beautiful and historic. If time permits you could go onto Oklahoma City to see the National Cowboy museum, then head south to Texas.

But there is much to see along the southern I10 route including Big Bend NP which is spectacular but does require a detour. But if you have time it is worth it.

I recommend you get a guidebook to the southwest. I use Rough Guide and there are others. Note that they usually don't include Texas which is a separate book.

Here's the link to my Texas go list tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr…

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

Thankyou both very much for your suggestions.

The I40 seems like it night be the way to go, as we did want to see Amarillo.

Can I also ask where is the best areas to stay in Houston, Austin and Dallas?

Somewhere that is close to most attractions, eateries and bars where we can enjoy a relaxing drink at the end of the day?

Thanks again!!!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

Houston has several areas to consider. The Galleria has a number of higher-end restaurants (as opposed to cheap places), plenty of bars, a number of good hotels, and if you stay in that area, have easy access to our freeway system which will take you anywhere in the city.

What do you have in mind in the way of attractions? Our museum district is 15 minutes away from the Galleria, NASA is about a 35-40 minute drive (as is Kemah), Galveston (beach town) is an hour's drive, and there are areas of Houston that are oriented toward art galleries, antiques, and many other types of activities. Staying in the Downtown area is an option, but other than a number of bars and restaurants (and an occasional theater performance), night life is somewhat limited. So-called "hot" areas for restaurants and bars are Washington Avenue and Kirby Drive areas, as well as Galleria area.

As far as Dallas and Austin, I'd suggest you open a discussion in those cities, as I'm not familiar enough with either to give you qualified advice. From what little I know, the hot spots in Austin are along 6th Street, but that's primarily a college crowd. The last I knew about Dallas, the hot area was along Greenwood Avenue, but that's many years ago. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding great suggestions in those two cities.

USA
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

how about el paso and a visit to mexico?

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

I love Mexico, but I would seriously not recommend crossing the border at El Paso and going to Juarez.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

I'm in TOTAL agreement with WallyWilsonTe... Don't even consider crossing into Mexico at Juarez (or any other border town) in Texas if you value your life--it's just not worth the risk.

8. Re: Driving from LA to Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 15, 2013