We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlantic City, NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

Hello,

We are possibly going to be relocated to Houston. There are 2 of us and 2 kids (6 & 1). I was told the office can be hit from either Exit 76 on I-10 or exit 47 on I-45. Working hours will be the normal rush hour times (lucky me). I have never been to Houston, and I unfortunately will not have an opportunity to visit before I am told of the move. I have read a lot of nice stuff about Houston which is what attracts me to it.

Can anyone recommend an area with nice homes (we like new developments with things like community pools, etc), nice schools, and a reasonable distance to the office (I would think less than a 45 min drive time including rush hour is okay). Can anyone give me some good direction?

I really appreciate it.

nem
United States
Level Contributor
317 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

I am not sure where those exits are at on the highway maybe someone else knows. Do you have the exact address, location , or neighborhood name of the office you are going to work at? That way we could assist you better.

In the mean time go to www.HoustonNewcomerGuides.com

For school info go to www.tea.state.tx.us or the Houston Chronicle website which has the latest data on school reports. The Houston Chronicle website also has a link for relocators.

The areas that are great for families and that have great schools are:

The Woodlands

Sugarland

Kingwood

Katy

Memorial (Bunker Hill, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point)

West Memorial

Cypress

Bellaire

Spring

Other helpful sites for newcomers are:

www.Houston-guide.com

www.visithoustontexas.com

www.houstoncl.com

Also you may want to check with some of the existing threads on this board in reference to moving.

Welcome To Houston!

Atlantic City, NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

Mem, I have been looking at a lot of them, and each seems to give me another piece to the puzzle. The tough part is once I get that puzzle piece it is like I realize that the puzzle just got bigger. I know the best answer is for me to go down and visit, unfortunately that option is not available right now with my schedule. The nice part is that once I find out I am being relocated I will have 1-2 months before the move and time to travel then.

I was told the office was off of Memorial Drive just west of I-45. I tried looking for an exact address, but since I am not at work right now I don't have it (sorry).

Thanks a million for the links. Everything is a help.

Gary

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

Where you live really should be decided based upon where you will work (provided you have a good school district close by). Memorial near I45 sounds like you are near downtown.

Not sure what price bracket you are looking for in homes but you might consider West University, Memorial, Bellaire if you are in the upper income level of homes. These aren't new developments but older established neighborhoods that are close to everything and have good schools. These areas would provide you the best possible commute times to the area you think you may be working in ... and good schools for your kids.

If you want to be out more in the suburbs in a Master-planned communiity - you might look in the Pearland area or in Kingwood. Traffic to both of these areas is lighter than if you head out 45 North, although at rush-hour they are all heavy, just in varying degrees. 59N to Kingwood has reacently been widened and commute times have really gotten good for those living in that community. Commute to Pearland is still shorter than to communities on the far North side but that area is rapidly growing and won't be too many years before that freeway is standstill as well.

Houston
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

If you are accessing the office from both I-10 and I-45, you must be working downtown. Katy and the far west side are some of the nicer parts of town, but traffic is VERY BAD coming from that direction on most days and during any part of the day. I live in the northwest part of town where there are many many new subdivisions and the school district is pretty good (Cypress Fairbanks ISD-do your research vs. Katy ISD and Houston ISD). There are a lot of nicer areas around this part of town, mostly regular people, and the traffic is normal rush-hour traffic into downtown-heavy, but not really unusually bad. Somedays, depending on what time I go that way, it isn't even backed up, although I don't travel in rush-hour traffic very much. You could also find very nice neighborhoods in The Woodlands. This area is north of town about 30 minutes and is a really good shopping area, as well. Check out the school in this area, also. I've heard they are good there, also. I hope this is helpful. I know a good realtor, so if you need some help with anything, let me know.

Beverly

(832) 647-2868 (Cell)

Level Contributor
3,053 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly moving to Houston; never been there; need ideas...

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone afield from the topic of travel. Although non-travel-related topics are allowed, posts in the Off-topic forum must otherwise meet TripAdvisor's Forum guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…