We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

Hi, my gf & I are making the trip into houston for the all star game on feb 17 all the way from Sydney, Australia. We are only staying for a day and a half. Could you propose the best area to stay? Im undecided on whether its worthwhile to have a hire car or to use taxi or public transport if convenient to location. Flights are usually going into George Bush International. Your help is much appreciated

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

If it was me, I would stay downtown and walk everywhere I needed to go and then at night I would take a cab back to my hotel for safety reasons.

hotelplanner.com/Event-Hotels/5975-For-NBA-A…

http://www.visithoustontexas.com

downtownhouston.org/guidedetail/…

downtownhouston.org/district/…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

I would say stay close to the event of All Star which i believe is going to be at the Reliant Stadium, so around that area would be convenient and you could just take a Taxi from the airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

Renting a car most probably will be the cheapest option. If you do, stay away from the Galleria area or downtown as parking is quite expensive. Then drive to a metro rail stop - park the car and take the light rail to the event.

If not stay downtown and then take the light rail to the event. It is like $1.50 or $2.00. Taxi from airport to downtown will cost you about $55 each way.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

Stay at the Inn at the Ballpark. May be a bit more $$$ but you will save on hassle, travel time and fatigue just trying to figure it out.

Dallas, Texas...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

please either rent a car and/or get a driver houston is a mega city there highways and rural streets are hard to navigate thur on a monday so be reay for the delays

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

Hi Enrique.

You might have a problem getting a hotel in town that weekend, since the City will be full for the event. If you do rent a car, bring your GPS,or rent one with the car. Our freeways are well marked, and easy to navigate. Peak traffic times are usually between 7am and 9 am...and then again,from 5pm to 6:30pm,as with most large cities, as people go and come home, from work.

For the event, it might be easier to park a bit out of the city, and ride the Metro Rail into the event:

visithoustontexas.com/travel-tools/…

have a good time!

cc,

Cupcake

7. Re: All Star Weekend - Feb 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014