We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26 hours in Houston... in January

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
26 hours in Houston... in January

Hi

We have a stop-over at IAH in January from 2pm on the 3rd until 7pm on the 4th. Could anyone suggest some ideas on where to stay and how to entertain a 7 year old boy. At the moment we're looking at hiring a car, staying downtown and visiting the Childrens Museum, but the idea of getting out to stay overnight at a ranch really appeals to. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

Ranches are lots of fun, but they are located further west in the Bandera area of Texas.

The Children's Musuem and/or the zoo will provide lots of fun for all.

http://www.houstonzoo.org/

If you stay downtown, you can even take the metrorail to the museum or zoo. The Hotel Icon, Magnolia and Alden Hotels are very close to a rail stop. Hotel Zaza is right in the museum district.

visithoustontexas.com/travel-tools/…

Welcome to Houston!!

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

I find one guest ranch near Houston in Cat Spring, TX. It is about an hour west of the city. It's a pretty nice area.

www.blisswood.net/activities_onsite.html

I'm not sure you would get to enjoy it with such a short day but it is an option.

There is a lot to entertain a 7 year old in the Museum District and downtown. In addition to the Children's Museum and the zoo (which is wonderful) there is the Museum of Natural Science which also houses the Butterfly pavilion and an IMAX theater. In downtown there is the Aquarium which offers games, rides and sea life exhibits.

I hope you have a great stay.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

I'd suggest a hotel in Center City area or the Galleria Mall (2 Westin Hotels) when you arrive, and then a drive out to the George Ranch the morning of the 4th. It's a please hour drive after rush hour, a 4 hour visit, and an easy return early afternoon to IAH.

Web Site is http://www.georgeranch.org/.

They have a pretty friendly staff, so feel free to telephone in advance to determine if there are any special attractions scheduled.

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

Hi again

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciated. We're thinking of staying in the Museum District and visiting the Children's Museum (they have a later opening on Thursdays so hopefully that'll run into next year too), and then heading to the NASA Space Centre on the Friday, heading straight back to IAH from there for the 7pm flight. The astronauts won out over the cowboys in the end!

Does that plan sound sensible to you H-town experts?

Thanks again for all your help.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

Looks good to me! Jack

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
58 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

I think the zoo is fun (if it's open that day and it should be). They have paddle boats, train and of course animals. I wasn't that impressed with JSC (Nasa Space Center Houston).

7. Re: 26 hours in Houston... in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 21, 2013