We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugarland vs Pearland

miami
2 posts
Save Topic
Sugarland vs Pearland

Let the great debate begin. Which area is better and why? I will be buying land in one of these areas in December right now I am torn between the two areas. I live in Miami so I hope when I come visit it will be an easy decision. Your comments would be appreciated!!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

There is no debate! I am a homebuilder in Houston and familiar with both areas; Sugarland is much better. I live in the Galleria area & only build inside the loop, so that I have no personal bias; but Sugarland is much more mature community and the development was controlled. Pearland is a hodge-podge of several developments with no real central plan. Further, if you are looking at investment propoerty, anything along 288 is currently overpriced while Sugarland stabilized years ago.

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

Only thing I could add... Pearland is still young/new and as such is developing its own character whereas Sugarland has (as the above poster said) matured.

My friends in Pearland talk with excitment about any new shop/store/restaurant that gets built.

My friends in Sugarland talk about the improvement to the highways to make traffic more bearable.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

We live in Pearland (Silvercreek) and seem to spend more time shopping in Sugarland. Sugarland seems more diverse, they have a good Asian market, along with good restaurants and shops. Pearland is growing, but not there yet, there is less traffic here and the ride into town is easy. I have never commuted from Sugarland, but I'm sure someone else can give you some insight into that. Our realtor suggested Silvercreek because it is almost fully built out, so upon resale we won't be competing with new builds in our own neighborhood. If you're planning on staying a long time that isn't such an issue. RE wise I like where we are but Sugarland has more to do.

Good Luck-DM

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

I am also interested in finding out more information about the Pearland area. Our family currently lives in The Woodlands, a suburb north of Houston, and we love living here. However, my husband works in the medical center and has an office on the south side of 610. The commute can be daunting some days. Dogmama, we have looked into the Silvercreek area, and really liked the Silvercreek/ Silverlake neighborhoods. The public elementary schools are rated well, but I have not been able to find quality after school care. Here, in The Woodlands, there are many child care options and we have 2 fantastic YMCAs. I would also be working in the medical center if we moved. What do the people in the area do for child care? Also, I was not at all impressed with the Pearland YMCA. Do you know where people in the area go to work out or for recreational opportunities for their kids? Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

Woodlands12

I can't speak of child care in the area, we only have dogs. From speaking with neighbors they all seem pretty happy with the school system. Both Silvercreek and Silverlake have group sites in yahoo that you can join to get some great info, just go to yahoo groups and type in the names. Sorry I can't help much on the child care part, there are lots of great kids in this neighborhood, I'm sure their parents have some good info on yahoo. From monitoring both these groups I see that Silverlake has some problems with their HOA, they seem to be getting resolved but it's something to consider. Silvercreek is a much smaller community and doesn't seem to have as many issues. The commute from here to the Medical Center would be a dream compared to the Woodlands. Small plug: We are selling our house in Silercreek (job relocation) 5b/4b I can give you more info if you're interested. Good Luck -DM

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugarland vs Pearland

DM- Thanks for all the great info. I applied to join both the Yahoo groups, so I'm sure that will help tremendously. We also looked at Shadow Creek Ranch, but Silvercreek and Lake had a nicer setting from our first impression. If we move, it will be during the summer. Hopefully, you will have sold your house by then! Thanks again.