We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Hello. Can anyone tell me the distance between IAH and HOU airports and if there is transportation between the two? Would it make sense to fly into one and transfer to the other to save $500 on airfare? Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

You can find a shuttle for about $25 or private transportation for about $60...I'm sure if you contact the airpot they can help you with options. It will take you about 45 min. between airports but that is with no traffic delays.

Depending on what time your flight is you can get stuck in traffic so I would allow at least twice that amount of time if you are traveling during peak traffic times. Even if it's not peak there is a chance there could be construction or an accident as you would be traveling on major highways so allow time for that and/or just drop off & pick up time, etc.

I'd say yes it is worth it to save the $500. Just be sure you allow enough time between flights.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Great! Thanks so much for the info. This is really helpful.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

For $500 - betcha. The maximum taxi fare was $62.00 (they might have a $2 or $3 surcharge). Other than that as the prev post mentioned - bus and shuttle. Another option is to rent a car - make sure no surcharge for drop off (taxi will be the most conv). It is about 30 miles from North of Houston to South E Houston. Several ways to get there (via downtown, around the loop and worst case (much longer) but the outer loop. Under normal driving it will take about 45 to 50 mts.

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Hi Jesmorgan,

Did you manage to travel by the shuttle service between the 2 airports? How long did it take and how much did you pay? I am travelling in April and would be great if you could share your experience with me. I have about 3 hours in-between the flights.

Thanks.

C N Tan

houston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

I've made this commute twice using a van service (supershuttle) from IAH to Hobby in a 3 hour window with just a carry on. It usually takes about 45 mins to an hour to get from IAH to HOU. The hardest part is getting out of IAH in time despite its size.. Luckily hobby is a small enough airport to navigate. If you have checkin luggage, I would not risk it.

If you decide to use a van/shuttle service, call ahead and make a reservation to ensure you have a spot and know when the van departure schedules are.

Edited: 6:11 pm, March 29, 2010
Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Hi Philltx,

Thanks for sharing. I think it will be better for me to connect a flight directly from IAH, instead of travelling all the way to HOU.

Thanks again.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

I agree. 3 hrs would be a big No from me. Flying in internationally can be a short or very long wait for immigration. Then you wait for your bags and stand in line for customs. If you fly into IAH and out of HOU that would mean you are two separate tickets. Airline 2 has no obligation to provide you a flight if airline 1 is held up for any reason. You'd be stuck paying last minute, full fare.

If I'd seen the OP when it was fresh, I would have advised against the transfer even for $500 if the transfer time was less than 5 hrs.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Hi. I decided against switching airports because I was able to get a less expensive flight out of IAH. I think that was the right decision given that I was arriving from Mexico and had to clear customs. It would have been a tight window to make it to HOU.

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your advise. I have decided to catch a connecting flight from IAH, to avoid all the hassle of getting to HOU.

Cheers,

10. Re: Ground Transportation Between IAH and HOU??"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, September 27, 2010