We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uptown vs. downtown

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
uptown vs. downtown

Hello, we will be travelling to Houston on Sept 2nd for couple of nites. We're looking for an upbeat area with restaurants & coffee shops within walking distance from hotel. Should we stay in downtown or uptown (Hotel Derek for example). Also, i'll appreciate any hotel & restaurants recommendations. thanks.

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uptown vs. downtown

Between uptown and downtown.. I think there are better "walking" possibilities in downtown. I don't know the scene there well enough to say for certain tho.

nem
United States
Level Contributor
320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: uptown vs. downtown

If you are looking for upbeat restaurants and coffe shops, then Uptown area will probably be the best. There are plenty of restaurants located in that area and The Galleria Mall.

The hotels that are great in that area are Hotel Derek, a brand new Marriott Residence Inn, JW Marroitt, The Hilton, Sheraton Suites, and 2 Westins that are connected to the Galleria Mall. You will be in walking distance to the mall and many of the shops if you stay at any of theses hotels. If you want to save money, then the Residence Inn or Sheraton Suites which are nice is great. If you are looking for luxury, then the Hotel Derek, Westin, and the Hilton near the Galleria are nice.

All of these hotels are within walking distance to each other and the Westins are attached to the Galleria Mall.

Directly across the street from the Galleria are 2 shopping areas, restuarants, a Borders or Barnes in Nobles (I can't rember which one), 2 Starbucks -one is inside the bookstore the other one is next to Java Juice and is bigger with an outdoor patio that people hang out at.

Inside the Galleria Mall you have The Cheescake Factory and The Fox Sports Bar & Grill, and coffe shops. Across the street you have Morton's Steakhouse and The Grandluxe Cafe. Near the Hotel Derek you have The Grotto Restaurant (Italian). There are also other great restaurants in within that area, that are within walking distance.

The downtown area has great restaurants as well. If you are looking to tour any museums, theater district, or arts & cultural activities, then staying downtown will be great because you could ride the metro train to the museum district. If not, then the Uptown area will be better.

I highly reccommend all the hotels and restaurants that I mentioned.

Are you looking for any other specific things?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uptown vs. downtown

thanks there are great suggestions. one more question, for a day trip from Houston, would you recommend going to Kamaneh (sp?) or Galveston?

thanks, Zizo

nem
United States
Level Contributor
320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uptown vs. downtown

I think a day trip to Galveston would be fine any other time, but with the Labor Day weekend traffic and with all the crowds due to people taking refuge from the hurricane here in Houston it will probably not be the best time for you to enjoy it.

If vacation traffic and crowds do not bother you, then by all means you should go. It will just take you longer to get there and it will be extremely crowded due to the holiday.

Maybe touring the Museum District and some of the other neighborhoods could fill in your second day. If you are really into upbeat areas visiting the Montrose area which is near the Museum District has restaurants, vintage clothing stores, antique shops, clubs (for the younger & progressive lifestyle), and neat pubs.

Just check the traffic report the day you plan to go to Galveston and if things are okay, then drive to Galveston. If the traffic report is not great, then atleast you have another option on what to see.

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uptown vs. downtown

and Kemah would be a shorter drive that you might find interesting. Don't forget NASA is in the same rough area and might be interesting as well.