We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to live in houston

dallas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
places to live in houston

Hi. I'll be moving to houston for school around august and im just wondering what nice apts are there. my roommate is already living there and she suggested a place near medical center? i'm not too sure but we don't want it so far from U of H (also not to close to U of H...i hear the neighborhood's not great) anyways, something nice, affordable two bedroom apt. thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: places to live in houston

The Pearland area is growing quickly and there are some lovely apartments in the SilverLake area just off of Hwy. 288 at FM 518. It would be about a 20 minute drive to U of H/medical center. There is also a bunch of commercial/retail growth in that area so you would have access to just about anything you'd need. You definately DO NOT want to live in the U of H neighborhood!

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to live in houston

There are tons of apartments just beyond the medical center and you'll have lots of students from Rice and UH living there. The cost is very reasonable and you'll have a fairly easy drive.

Only downside (and it coudl be an upside depending on you) is that the apartments are very close to Reliant Stadium where the Houston Texans play. So on Sundays during the season, traffic can be plain ugly. Some of the bigger concerts can also trigger some traffic at odd hours. The flip side is that you're walking distance if you want to go.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to live in houston

I graduated from UH in 1997 and lived in apartments on the backside of campus for my last year. I know that since I've left they have built a number of other university-sponsored apartments in the area. Sure, the neighborhood isn't great, but it's not as bad as others here make it out to be. I lived on or near campus the entire time and never had any problems.

houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to live in houston

What is your defination of affordable?

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to live in houston

the montrose area is also a great area to live in. i lived there for years. it is centraly located, but, you must be very open minded. it is the electic area of town. everyone from college students to the worlds best tattoo artists live there. it is also the home to the local gay and lesbian crowd. but, if i were in college again that is where i would go back to.

Houston
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: places to live in houston

The West University area has condos and apartments in a nice area close to restaurants, bars and shopping it is also close to Rice University as well but not far from U of H. Is is a safe, fun area. Can be pricey but if you search you can find a great deals. Best to look before August.

Houston
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: places to live in houston

I would try Downtown or Midtown. Both are great locations for someone going to U of H.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
471 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to live in houston

I see some UH parking passes in my apt complex. I live in the midtown area and love it. It has access to every highway and takes about 20 minutes to get to each side of town.

Some of my friends rent houses located adjacent to the campus. They haven't complained about any problems there.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places to live in houston

look at www.har.com

I concur about Montrose if you're liberal. It's funky, friendly and you're near rice village, museums, park etc

Also Midtown or medical center.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: places to live in houston

Try some of the apartment locator services in Houston. I don't think they charge any fees. This saves time and money from riding around looking at properties.