We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Hello,

I just booked my flight for Labor Day weekend to attend a wedding in Houston. I'm staying at the Hotel Derek in the Galleria area. A girlfriend mine is joining me, to make it a girls weekend away. We have never been to Houston and want to enjoy the city. Any suggestions?? We are both women who like to travel, meet new people and enjoy the culture of the cities we visit. Oh, and good bbq too...if any one can give me some tips I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
492 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

That is some planning you are doing! September is a long time from now. If you are going to be here for the weekend, then you will need a car to get around houston. Hotel Derek makes alot of place accessible. Try Goode BBQ or Demeris for bar-b-q. About meeting people, I would need to know what age range you are looking for.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
493 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

I agree, Goode Company BBQ on I-10 is good. There are also tons of restaurants in the area you are staying in (check out citysearch.com) and also you'll be right by the Galleria, good shopping if you like to shop (although it's a BIG mall, so be prepared to spend time there, or get a map and know what stores you want to go to)

As for meeting people, try Belvedere's, it's a bar in uptown park (across 610 from Hotel Derek). Belvedere's is more of an upscale/dressy bar. There's also Sherlock's Baker Street Pub on West Grey and The Tavern , if you are looking for a more casual bar (look them on up citysearch) where you can play pool/darts.

You're also not too far from Rice Village, which offers more bars, restaurants and shopping.

Great area for a girl's weekend!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
493 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

also you are not far from the musuem district, if you want to visit the Houston Museum of Fine Arts or any others.

www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default.asp…

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Thank you both so much for the tips and advice. I know it's a while before September arrives, however we just bought our tickets so the excitement of being out to town has us plotting our vacation already.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Here is the best social events website for Houston...it will be best to check it a few weeks before your trip to see if there's any local events to try out. There are quite a few links to new & trendy eateries and bars too.

http://www.gochgazette.com/tw.php

To get a feel for Texas barbeque and nightlife:

Best Barbque: http://www.pappasbbq.com/

Texas Style Country Nightlife (not trendy per se, but it is always fun to two step every once in a while, and they also have a Kareoke room)

http://www.wildwesthouston.com/

Best Brunch on Sunday:

LA STRADA'S

Make your reservations early. If not planning to eat - pop in around 2pm for they party scene.

www.lastradahouston.com

Have fun!

Houston
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Not far from where you will be staying is a Sushi Bar, WONDERFUL atmosphere, great in the evenings. You will meet a great number of people or just to people watch ok to. Very lively, fun, music. Great drinks too. RA Sushi Bar Restaurant at 3908 Westheimer. Look up on citysearch.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Highland Village is also a great place to shop, with upscale stores including Anthropologie and Kiehl's. (This is the same shopping center as Ra Sushi.)

Central Market is right across the street - it is a food paradise with a great cafe. On the weekends, there is live music. Great for lunch.

If you rent a car, go to The Davenport. It's a laidback martini bar/lounge.

Mentioned in this post
Ra Sushi
Ra Sushi
102 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

Goode Company is hands down the best bbq in Houston. Dont bother looking into any others. If you go to the one on Kirby there is an awesome country bar called the Armadillo Palace next door also owned by Goode Company.

Houston
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

also fyi, Wild West is known to be a "meat market" so if you dont want to get hit on every 5 minutes by old men wanting to dance I wouldnt go there. Armadillo Palace is a restaurant/ TX country bar its mostly lunch crowd by day but really picks up at night.

Mentioned in this post
Wild West
Wild West
19 Reviews
Houston, TX
10. Re: first time to houston - Labor Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 02, 2009