We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Hello everyone,

We are comeing to houston to the childrens hospitol. Can you tell me of a hotel that is close near and something that is nice. Also what are a few things to do while we are in town visiting the drs.

Thank you in advance for any information.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
667 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Here's a thread which may answer some of your questions! I hope all goes well for you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56003-i148-k92585…

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

I've learned two things since posting in the old thread:

1. Holiday Inn Express is undergoing rennovation yet is still open. Unfortunately, this means work begins in some parts of the hotel at 7 AM and you cannot be guaranteed a quiet room.

2. Best Western offers a $79 patient rate but it needs to be booked ASAP. Just bring the patient's ID #. It is our new favorite hotel. Look for my review. (TA didn't like my pasting the link.)

How old is your child? Here is a discussion for what to do with a two year-old.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56003-i148-k11141…

Good luck.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

How old is your child? Depending on the age....

Children's Museum,(cost $5) Houston Zoo, Museum of Natural Science(includes Cockrell Butterfly , IMAX theatre) all are close to TX Children's Hospital.

You'll love TCH, it's very visitor friendly! My daughter there last year for surgery. Parking is about $10-15/daily, onsight McDonalds, Subway, cafeteria, pizza, chic-fil-a & more. Be sure to visit the 16th floor (I think that's right). They have activities for kids --radio station, game room, crafts etc. Really fun if you;re in hospital for a few days. Just a wheelchair ride away!

here's a list of hotels close to the hospital.

texaschildrenshospital.org/allabout/visiting…

Let me know if you need places to eat. I'd be happy to help.

Hope this helps.

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Major point: Hermann Park (with the Houston Zoo) is just north of the medical district. After most doctor appts, we head to the park, then head to Rice Village to eat dinner. After two years of driving from Austin to Children's Hospital Houston, we have our routine down to a science. (Big lesson learned: stay overnight!)

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Just back tonight from yet another trip to Children's Hospital.

Here's an update:

1. Best Western Medical Center just got better. Not only is it within walking distance of the hospital, offers a $79 patient rate (and free parking), but it has improved its breakfast offerings. (Perhaps they read my previous TA review...) Now included are make-your-own waffles, more cereal and more yogurt options. After trying out a few hotels, this one's a keeper!

2. Children's Museum is wonderful, but... Avoid the mornings there this time of year if you can. The museum was packed to the rafters with school groups enjoying their end-of-year field trips. We visited in the morning and returned after lunch (ticket allows you to do this). Huge difference in crowds.

Good luck. Again, let us know the age of your child so we can give better advice.

Lake Jackson, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Houston-Medical Center at 6800 S Main...it's just blocks from Childrens ( we were at Methodist next to it) They have a shuttle that goes back and forth to the Med Center all day and until 9pm... nice hotel, very safe in an area that can be "iffy" and they have a discount for med center families. We found it to be very nice and convienant... SOme of those hotels can get very pricey.... there's plenty to do around that area... zoo is close.. lots of museums ... think the price of holiday was about 69....... dh

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Thank you all very very much, I am so over joyed with all of the responses I have recieved. For you who have asked, my son is a 2 1/2 very active little boy, whom stays very busey through out the day lol he has no nap because he says that he is TOO BIG!! and he chooses not to watch tv so you can imagine. So , while we are there I would love to stay very busy with him. We will be leaving May 16th.

Again, thank you very much!!

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

Oh, good, you can use the link about what to do with a two-year old in Houston. It has very good advice.

Bring your son's bathing suit and sunscreen. Hermann Park has a fabulous water play area, with fountains to run through.

We started taking our daughter to Children's Hospital a week before her second birthday. (She just turned four.) During the past two years, we have not run out of things to do.

Yet one more thing: There are at least four toy stores in Rice Village, including the local Five and Dime (which has the least expensive toys).

Yet one more food thing: The Best Western has fridges, if you decide to stay there. The Children's Museum allows for picnic lunches, so save the money by bringing your own. Save even more money (on parking) by taking the light rail, which stops a few blocks from the Children's Museum.

9. Re: Hotel near Childrens Hospitol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 28, 2009