We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

We are going to be in Houston only one evening and would love to take the kids to a fun BBQ restaurant. Is there anything like the Salt Lick in Houston? Would be great to have a place with bench seating and where kids could run around (they are 8 and 12).

Thanks in Advance!!

10 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Where will you be staying while in Houston? (There are a number of decent to very good BBQ places spread over an extremely large geographic area, and we don't want to send you on a one-hour drive just to get good BBQ.)

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

We are staying near the airport - we arrive at 5pm, spend the night and then leave in the morning. happy to drive for a fun experience. Thanks for the help!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Assuming you're staying near IAH, and not Hobby (HOU), AND that you're not going to be in while they're closed August 5-13, you might want to try Corkscrew BBQ in Spring. It's truly one of the best in the entire area. It's about 16-19 miles from IAH airport, depending on which way you go, so it's not an inexpensive Uber/Lyft trip, and the restaurant closes at 6:00 PM, but it IS one of the top 3-4 BBQ joints in the Houston area, and probably the closest to where you're staying: https://www.corkscrewbbq.com/ (Don't know about seating.)

Another one (part of a three-store chain) we like is the Brisket House, located at 3301 Cypress Creek Parkway, about 13.5 miles from IAH. Excellent brisket and links, sides and service. I haven't eaten at this particular location, but we eat at the Woodway location on average weekly. Open 'til 9:00 PM except Sundays. The seating at Woodway is tables, not benches--don't know about Cypress Creek location.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Sorry--link for The Brisket House: http://www.thebriskethouse.com/

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Thanks! i will look into both of them

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,199 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

My idea is different. Since you are arriving at 5pm, it will be a bit of time to get your bags (baggage claim at IAH is notoriously slow) and either get over to the rental car facility (bus, off-site) or order an Uber. My guess is 6pm in Spring is cutting it very close. Gatlin’s BBQ in the Heights - is open until 9pm on Friday. While there is nothing huge about the kid experience, the food is quite good and the seating space is large. 20-22 miles from IAH. Others places trending in the Heights includes Willow’s Texas BBQ (a food truck adjacent to a bar, with outdoor starting) and Pinkerton’s BBQ. These are both open > 8pm on Friday, as well. All are getting great reviews and I’ve personally eaten at Gatlin’s and Pinkerton’s many times.

Final Tip: If you are getting a rental car, consider not staying near the airport that night.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
887 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Just to complicate your choices 😉;

http://www.tinroofbbqtexas.com/

A little closer in than either of the other offerings, but in easterly direction.....Among our favorites, kids area, large, with both indoor & outdoor seating. Music many nights.

Large menu beyond all the bbq choices. Good food and inexpensive.

Enjoy!

Edited: 4:43 pm, August 05, 2018
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

I second going to Gatlin's BBQ on Ella Blvd and there brisket is amazing. Not a fan of the ribs though.

9. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:36 am, August 09, 2018

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
494 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family

Although not the greatest bbq in Houston, for a festive and fun atmosphere, I'm going to recommend Goode Company on Kirby and the Armadillo Music Hall right across the street from it. The reason I prefer other barbecue venues is because Goode Company uses mesquite and I don't think that is a great wood for barbecuing. But in terms of memorabilia, music, terrific ambience, you can't beat Goode Company. There is also a location on I-10.

Also, you may get some ideas from my food blog: Houston Food Explorers

Edited: 10:22 am, August 20, 2018
Reply to: Best BBQ Dinner Experience in Houston for Family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted