We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

Hello,

I am in Atascocita right now visiting family for 5 days without car and need help exploring Houston. My family could not get out of work and they will be busy during the week, so I need help filling my days while Im here. They have offered to drop/pick me up while I explore the city if its feasible, or i can take the Uber.

These are some of the things I have listed down as of now. It is just a rough draft of information I have gathered.

NASA ? how many hours do you think would it be ? Is there anything else besides NASA which is close by with/without car.

Hillcroft - Love to explore indian food and culture. I was told this is the place to be for indian stuff.

Galleria Mall - I have heard it is only good for window shopping? is that true ?

Papsitos for Margaritas and mexican food ?

Downtown Houston ?

Kemah Boardwalk ?

Woodlands ?

Hermann Park/Memorial Park/Discovery Green ?

Pls give your inputs.

What should I do first ?

And what should I add or remove ?

Plz help plan my itinerary.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

7 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,200 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

My inputs: Have you actually looked at a map to see where all your places are?? Advice: Figure out what you want to do first, look to see how long it will take to get there, how long you will stay, and how long to get back. For example, with driving, NASA from Atascosita is probably a good part of a day. Maybe leave your Top 5 on the list and research from there. Your list is WAY too long.

Edited: 7:06 pm, October 22, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

Alright I will do that and make a note of travel times etc

That list is not exactly my to do list. I was listing things i wanted an opinion on.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Awaiting more inputs.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

NASA would be most of a day. Probably an hour drive each way, longer in rush hour traffic.

Galleria has many shop including most of the high end retailers. There are other shops within walking distance and many good restaurants.

I like Pappasitos, there are locations all over town (local based chain). There are many many other good mexican/texmex restaurants everywhere.

There really isn't that concentrated of a Indian area. Lots of restaurants and some small shops in a general area. Would be hard to explore without a car.

If you went to NASA you could uber to Kemah. But not my favorite. Basically a small tourist trap with one companies restaurants. Not a fan of the owner.

If you went to downtown, you go go to discovery green, ride the rail to Herman park, museum district and medical center, reliant stadium/astrodome area.

Woodlands mall and the Cynthia woods mitchell pavilion (live venue) is walkable.

Would depend on your interests, when/where your relatives could drop you off/pick you up. Guess that depends on where they work.

San Jacinto Monument, Battleship Texas but I'm not sure if thats a whole day.

Atascosita is not really close to a lot of things by itself so uber/lyft/taxi might be expensive or unavailable.

You could check on the park and ride(s) that are near that your family could drop you off at for getting to/from downtown.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

To try to put things in perspective for you, Atascocita is in the far northeast part of Houston (which, geographically, is one of the largest cities in the USA). NASA and Kemah are reasonably close together, but are in the far southeast part of the city, halfway from Downtown Houston to Galveston. (From Atascocita to NASA is roughly 43 miles.) Public transportation to/from Downtown takes well over one hour in each direction.

The Galleria is roughly 32 miles from Atascocita in southwest central Houston, but not too far southwest. The Gandhi District is probably less than 5 miles southwest of that area, but there is no convenient public transportation between the two, so Uber/Lyft is the only practical solution. The Galleria is a huge completely enclosed mall, but there's shopping of all kinds, plus numerous restaurants: http://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria

From Atascocita to Downtown is arbitrarily 24 miles, depending on where you go. From there, as Ystoner said, you can take the MetroRail out to Hermann Park (really not much to do at Memorial Park unless you're a golfer or a runner), where you can visit the Houston Zoo, the Museum of Natural Science (great experience!), or NRG Stadium a little further out. Downtown itself is primarily a business district, especially during daytime. At night, there are bars and restaurants, especially just southwest of Downtown in Midtown.

As far as Mexican restaurants, Pappasito's serves huge portions of decent TexMex food, but there are many places that serve better IMHO. One thing common to all the Pappasito restaurants I've eaten at is that they are VERY noisy. I guess what I'm saying is don't get locked in to that brand name, as there is good TexMex food all over the city--ask around.

The Woodlands is a PUD (Planned Unit Development)--a town that sprang up roughly 30 years based on a plan. It's a neat town--what we used to call a "bedroom community." I'm no expert, as it's too far north of the city for us to spend much time there, but people seem to enjoy it for its lifestyle, its restaurants, etc. (It's about 26 miles from Atascocita.)

Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

You could also take the bus between Downtown and the Galleria. In case your ride could drop you off at one and pick you up at the other. Riding the bus is not my favorite way to get around and not very fast with all the stops.

Just as an option.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

I've lived in Atascocita for 11yrs. Wonderful community with great restaurants and shopping.

It's not a great one...but my best suggestion for you is to rent an economy car for a few days and enjoy a good portion of your list. By the time you Uber back and forth from any of the places you mentioned, you could get a rental for less $$. If you did this you could group your attractions by areas and get to do and see more. You can get an economy car for $120(tax included) for 3 days at the local Enterprise that is near Coaches Bar & Grill.

Hope you get to enjoy some of Houston!

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
758 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz

Given your list the suggestion of renting an economy car seems the best option, Ubers to NASA, the woodlands, and Kemah will cost more than a rental car and while it is possible to take public transportation to at least NASA and the woodlands it is to say the least not easy.

Reply to: 5 days in Atascocita - Houston - no car -Itinerary help plz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted