We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage-International to International Connection in the US

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Luggage-International to International Connection in the US

If I have an international to International flight connection in the US (all same airline) do I need to claim my bags and go through customs and recheck the bag in the US? Theoretically I'm only transferring through the US, not going to leave the airport or stay in the country. The specific example is SYD>LAX>CDG all on Air France.

2 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,162 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage-International to International Connection in the US

Your profile confuses me, because it says you are based in Houston. ITI availability varies by airport. In your example, you used LAX and I'm not sure if LAX has it for Air France.

At IAH and traveling on United, your bag is eligible to be checked all the way through - ITI - and eligible on all United transits. At IAH, if there is a One Stop officer stationed, you are eligible to take the short-cut and not have to drop your forum with the customs officer (final step before TSA). If there is no One Stop officer stationed, you must walk past baggage claim and need to queue up in the customs line. I'm batting about 50% on One Stop officers working when I arrive (note: I end in Houston, but it's the same difference on the short-cut).

www.fly2houston.com/iah/international-travel/

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage-International to International Connection in the US

Rachel, post this in the Air Travel forum with your specific flight itinerary and you very well may get a specific answer to your query. As mentioned, it can be different depending upon airline and airport. If you do not hold a US passport you will need to apply for a Visa or ESTA depending upon your home country.

Reply to: Luggage-International to International Connection in the US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted