We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please

I am travelling to Houston (first time in Texas!) in a week with 3 of my friends. We are staying a few nights downtown before going on a cruise then staying a few more nights.

It seems like Uber etc is the best way to get from airport/hotels/Galveston etc.

Any suggestions for Halloween activities? We want to dress up so also welcome suggestions of where we can buy costumes

2 of my friends are vegetarians so any particular restaurants which have awesome vegetarian options?

I’m a big fan of Friday night lights, is going to watch a college etc football game an option?

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
6 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please

University of Houston has a home game on the 19th and Rice has a home game on the 28th of October.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please

Robyncakes--

"Friday Night Lights" is actually about High School football, so if you're interested in that, there will be virtually countless games to watch on the Friday night of your stay. If you watch one of the local TV stations, you'll get a good feel for which are the most highly-contested games. (According to my calendar, the 19th is on a Thursday, and the 28th is a Saturday, FWIW.) While high school games are nowhere near as talented or as well-run, it is a lot of fun to watch, and is surprisingly good football.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please

Just so you know, there are also high school football games that are played on Saturdays as well, since in many school districts in the Houston area several schools must share the district's stadium/s. Not all games can be played on Friday nights.

By Halloween activities, are you looking for organized things like haunted houses to visit, or names of bars or restaurants where other people might be dressed in costumes?

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please

Thanks all

We arrive on the 20th and are on our cruise on the 28th so neither of those games work for us but sounds like there will be some we can watch on tv at least (I wasn’t sure going to random high school games was a thing which is why I had thought colleague league of would possibly work better)

I’ve found a list of haunted houses so maybe restaurants/bars we can go to on Halloween

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please

As far as restaurants with a lot of vegetarian options option I would suggest Hugo's, Maharaja Bhog, Indika, Niko Niko and Underbelly but I think you will find at least a vegetarian option or two at the majority of restaurants in town.

Mentioned in this post
Hugo's
Hugo's
800 Reviews
Houston, TX
Maharaja Bhog
Maharaja Bhog
170 Reviews
Houston, TX
Indika
Indika
183 Reviews
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please

If you would like to go to Galveston, as your original post suggested, using Uber or Lyft will be more expensive than renting a car for a day. It is about a 45 minute drive to Galveston from Houston, but it is an easy drive straight down I-45. Galveston has Ghost Tours that you could take in the historic area.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Reply to: Advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted