We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to IAH before next day flight...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to IAH before next day flight...

Hi,

In April, My wife and I will be visiting Houston for 7 days then flying to New Orleans for 6 days. We then plan to fly back to Houston for our return flight [to the UK] the following day.

We plan to stay at one of the many airport hotels - but which one?

We'd like to be able to relax in the evening and have a meal and some craft beers to end our holiday - I'm sure most hotels have a bar etc but is there one that is within walking distance of a decent bar?

Also, the next day our plane is scheduled to take off at 1910 - so what do we do inbetween checking out of the hotel and checking in to the airport?

Do most hotels allow later checkouts?

Long questions but just trying to weigh up my options!

Thanks

Alun

12 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

< I'm sure most hotels have a bar etc but is there one that is within walking distance of a decent bar?>

No, not really - many airport area hotels don't have in-house restaurants or bars - and there are not a lot of walking options for late night - beyond fast food. I think the Sheraton, Doubletree, Marriott North, Hilton North, and Holiday Inn Express - and on-site Airport Marriott (at the airport) - all have restaurants/bars, but some close up pretty early, too. Understand that the airport hotels area is generally for those who need to sleep close to the airport. And uber fares to somewhere else, is probably not cost effective (some hotels do have local shuttles where they can take you within 3-5 miles, for example). Hilton North and Marriott North both have shuttles that could get you to the Pappasito's or others off I-45, north of Airtex,

Assuming you've done the touristy stuff during your initial 7 days - IF you want to maximize your time and options for your last connecting night - maybe rent a car (or uber) and head to the Woodlands for the day. Hotels there should give you what you need (late checkout) - dining options - something in the Market Street or Hughes Landing or Woodlands Mall area. Just to chill, walk around, shop...

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

Few if any of the hotels close to the airport allow for a late check-out unless you're a regular/preferred guest at least during the work week. The Sheraton North used to allow late check-out, till six, for what I thought was a reasonable fee but I have not stayed at that hotel recently and don't know if that is still an option. IAH has a number of airport lounges, most of which you can pay to enter if you're flying on an alliance flight. Other than that you could leave your luggage at the hotel and take an Uber to the woodlands or another area with restaurants and shopping and spend three or four hours, or the least expensive option of waiting at the airport and having some food and drinks, some fairly decent places to eat at IAH, much improved over years past.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

Here is another option to consider:

The Humble/Atascocita area is around 3.5 miles from the airport. The area on the Southbound side of Hwy 59 near the Deerbrook Mall has some good places to eat and 3 or 4 hotels. I would imagine they offer free shuttles to/from hotel but a search on their website would verify. If they won't offer your request for a late check-out they will for sure hold your bags. The mall that is nearby has lots of shops, a movie theater and restaurants to pass the time.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

With that late a departure i would skip the airport area hotel completely and spend the last night/day in a nice neighborhood like the already suggested Woodlands. Its a short ride by taxi or uber to the airport, about 20 minutes) You could check out of the hotel and enjoy the bars and restaurants during the day until heading for the airport in the late afternoon.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

I assume you will not be renting a car and thus will want to stay relatively close to the airport which is why I think the option suggested by thescoop01 may be superior to the woodlands which I and the other males suggested. I like the woodlands better but with a flight leaving a bit after seven o'clock you will probably be leaving for IAH sometime around four which is an awful time to be driving, especially around the woodlands. It normally takes about 30 minutes to get from the Marriott in the Woodlands to IAH using the Hardy toll road but I made that exact drive at 4:15 in the afternoon and it took almost an hour which means if you are using a taxi or an Uber to get to IAH it will be a long expensive drive. The woodlands has nice hotels and restaurants but to the part of the woodlands where the shops, hotels and restaurants are located it's twenty miles or so vs. thescoops suggestion of 3 to 5 miles.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

jsthouston -- Do you think The Woodlands would work if it is a weekend? Is traffic to and from IAH substantially less if it is a Saturday/Sunday? I would think it is but no recent experience.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

I think we should give the OP time to respond, but the easiest solution is to rent a car for the day. $40-$50 all in, should do it. I don't like the uber option personally either - because it's $30-40 each way. Rental car is far better, even for someone used to driving on the other side of the road. As for occasional blips in traffic - that could be said of anywhere in the metro. I work in Spring, I've used the Hardy south many times from work and the Woodlands area in the afternoon - an hour is the exception, not the rule. And at least traffic is not stalled like it is going north at that time. Personally, I see no advantage of Deerbrook - it's honestly not that much closer and I'm just not a fan of the mall. Also beware that some Humble area hotels were impacted (and still are) by Harvey.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

I'm responding as to not confuse the OP and not bc, once again, Bk_t1 has thrown shade at my suggestion, lol!

IAH to Deerbrook Mall - 6 miles

IAH to woodlands Mall or area 22 miles

That is a big difference, especially with Houston traffic. I too personally am a much bigger fan of the Woodlands mall but OP was inquiring about locations by the airport, which is why I offered the Humble/Atascocita area.

In regards to the concern of impacted hotels in Humble; the ones I referenced on the same side of HWY 59 as Deerbrook mall are open for business and where NOT flooded. This would be the Southbound side coming from the North, in other words, the same side of Hwy 59 as IAH. Specifically the Baymont Inn, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, Rodeway Inn, and a few others. While these hotels are not 4* - it sounds like they are wanting to spend the majority of thier time out of the hotel.

Okay, that's about it. Just wanting to add additional clarity to my previous post and offer exactly what it is....a SUGGESTION. :)

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

I don't have much experience driving the woodlands to IAH route but when I have made the drive using the toll road it had taken between 30 minutes and an hour. All these drives have been from the area around the Mitchell pavilion, the only area in the Woodlands I think a visitor would want to stay, and IAH. In my limited experience driving from that area to IAH around four PM is awful

within the Woodlands and busy once you get on the toll road. I have not spent any time in the Humble area but at 5 to 6 miles it is certainly much closer to IAH.

Edited: 6:41 pm, October 12, 2017
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returning to IAH before next day flight...

Wow - thanks for all the replies - driving isn't an option though.

Lots of things to think about here - many thanks

Alun

Reply to: Returning to IAH before next day flight...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted