We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel occupancy tax

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
Hotel occupancy tax

Is there anywhere in the Houston area where you don't have to pay a 17% hotel occupancy tax? I find that a tax that high could be a vacation budget buster & might cause me to vacation somewhere else.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
76 reviews
114 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

It is what it is unfortunately. Taxing visitors is easy to pass through local vote. Houston is financing multiple city projects through their hotel occupancy tax. To avoid you will have to stay outside the city, and the city is a sprawling metropolis.

Near IAH is The Woodlands, 15%.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,573 posts
188 reviews
138 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

Local taxing authorities love to pay for things by raising taxes and fees on tourists. New stadiums, city projects, etc. By adding to hotels, car rentals, all of it. What they count on is business travelers, who get reimbursement. In some cities where I rent cars, the taxes and fees are almost equal to the daily rates.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

I'm pretty sure Tomball is only 7%, remember reading somewhere that the city try to keep it low to help tourism.

And it is is close enough to travel in to Houston and surrounding areas.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
76 reviews
114 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

>>I'm pretty sure Tomball is only 7%, remember reading somewhere that the city try to keep it low to help tourism.<<

City of Houston is 7% as well... then add on 6% State tax, 2% county tax and 2% Sports Authority tax

Tomball may be 15% then, 6% state, 2% county, and 7% city. Tomball is in Harris Co. as is Houston.

Edited: 9:04 pm, June 26, 2017
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

Ah.... that's why I don't have a job in finance, thanks for pointing that out 😀, to be honest I've never even thought about occupancy tax....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
356 posts
26 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

It should be 15percent total... check with the city of galveston. It is a combination of state and city.

7. Re: Hotel occupancy tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 05, 2018